Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Vibration at take-off

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2015, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Vibration at take-off

Vibration at take off. I have a 2002 Tracker 2.0L 5speed that have a teeth rattling vibration from a dead stop to get moving in 1st and reverse. We have replaced the u-joints,checked the drive shaft and rear-end. No luck. I have also removed the rear drive shaft and place car in 4wd there is no vibration at all. Totally stumped at this point. Every now and then as you back up the brakes seem to grab and hold as if someone is applying them slightly.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 9:33 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on the vehicle? I would continue with checking the rear brakes, you can drive it a bit and then stop and feel the drums and if one is a lot warmer than the other it indicates that the shoes are not releasing correctly. Does the emergency brake release correctly? If the rear brake shoes have the brake material bonded instead of riveted to the shoe then one of them could have come apart. It also sounds like the clutch might be slipping and grabbing some do you have enough fluid in the master cylinder?

Last edited by Richardx2; July 2nd, 2015 at 9:35 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default vibration at take off

new clutch kit 9 months ago. all fluid levels ok. have had brakes gone thru w/ no luck have replaced u-joints moves smooth w/ no rear drive shaft, if in 4wd. dont know where to go next.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 9:48 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that is interesting, if it drives good with the rear shaft disconnected then you might want to put the rear axle on jack stands disconnect the rear shaft and see how the rear axles turn. Won't cost anything except time and if there is any type of popping or the axles don't rotate freely then there is something in the rear end that is causing the problem.
Old July 4th, 2015, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

when in gear on stands one one wheel drives the car and the driver wheel sits idle. I have had to replace the axle seal on the driver side two times in the past 5yrs. The dealer replaced it the first time and I replaced it about 9 months ago. I am going to have to take and put on stands again and see if if is turning freely as you stated. just had rotator cuff surgery and mechanic has had car. I had him return it because they could not figure it out either