Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

What kind of spark plugs should I get?

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2016, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of spark plugs should I get?

I have a 2001 chevy tracker l4 2.0 ... I am curious as to what brand would/type of spark plug would work best in this engine.

I read on a different forum site for a different vehicle that NGK Iridium spark plugs are the best you can buy for the other vehicle I have. I also read that the E3 spark plugs were not good for my other vehicle...

So I came here to ask what brand and what type (copper, irdium,,,) spark plug would work best for the engine.

Thanks in advance
Old November 27th, 2016, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good day. This is my first post. Hope I'll prove useful.

Copper, iridium and platinum are 3 common types of spark plugs. The more I do research, the more I convince myself they only differ in their life span.

In the Tracker, I use copper spark plugs. The ones I use are NGK BKR5E-11. They have the same dimensions and properties as those called by the user manual.
I replace them every 10,000 miles, and they come out in great condition. With Iridium I know could go over 25000, or even more, but it doesn't justify paying 4x the price. Also, the plugs in this engine are easily changed: 15-25 minutes and the job is done. (provided nothing goes wrong)

My brother's car is a Nissan Frontier, with a V6 engine. To replace the plugs, you have to dismantle a lot of stuff. The coils wires are way to short and hard to manipulate, and the spark plugs are hidden in the yeti's cave. To make things worse, I recall the shop manual indicated that after all is done, you have to test the throttle pedal (electronic, by the way) for proper operation, because... stuff happens. There was a 2 page section dedicated to re-calibrate the pedal in case it ceased to function propetly. In this car, we used Platinum spark plugs, so we can avoid all the hassle for a long time.

Same goes with my bike. It uses 4 hard to reach spark plugs. Replacing them was a PITA. Iridium in this case, and they'll stay there until they are 36,000 miles old.

NGK's website contains a lot of useful info. It takes a couple of minutes to read.