Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Wont shift out of park after horn blew up

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2016, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont shift out of park after horn blew up

Today my 2001 trackers horn started going off and I couldn't get it to stop. After 5min or so of honking smoke started to emerge from the hood area then made a loud pop and the horn stopped. After letting it sit awhile I removed the fuse that the horn uses (not the dash fuse box but the fuse box under the hood. I got in and started it up to take it home and look at it but it would not shift out of park.

After fighting it for awhile I took off cover and was able to use my finger to push the switch towards the rear of the car and put it in drive to get it home. (It said to do this in the manuel) As Soon as I got home i put it in park and its still doing the same thing. Not coming out of park unless I use my finger to push that small latch.

My question is what could cause this? It all happened at once with the horn blowing today.

Please help. Thanks in advance
Old August 11th, 2016, 8:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the shift interlock solenoid is probably powered by the same fuse as the failed horn circuit.
this solenoid must be powered to allow a shift out of the park position.
Old August 11th, 2016, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes sir. Fuse was blown. Changed fuse and all is good exacpt the horn don't work which I don't need. But should I remove the horn or what should I do? Is the short still active??
Old August 11th, 2016, 1:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

check for power at the horn wire when the horn is pressed and released. if it works normally, change the horn. leave it unplugged for now.