TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

05 transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2012, 7:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 transmission issue

05 4.2 L w/ 105,000 miles on it. I was doing 50+ mph with my foot off the throttle...eased back into the throttle and a pretty noticable jerk (like we'd hit something) came from underneath the car. This happened 2 times in a 50 mile span. Checked the u-joints and they are fine. Checked the tranny fluid and it is brown....I do realize that it does need to be changed either way. Would this old tranny fluid cause such a harsh mechanical problem? I don't want to waste doing a tranny fluid replacement if the transmission itself will go out 100 miles from now.

Anyone else experienced this? Thoughts?
Old February 22nd, 2012, 9:12 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jtlonghorn,

Did any warning lights come on when this occurred? When was the last time you had the transmission fluid changed?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:00 AM
CF Junior Member

No warning lights came on. I bought the vehicle w/ 27,000 miles on it and haven't changed the fluid yet. I'm going off of the owner's manual that states to change every 100,000 miles....so it's realistically a couple thousand over.

Both clunking/jerking instances happened going downhill w/ my foot off of the gas and then gradually accellerating continuing downhill....was definately not normal.

I'm planning on dropping the pan to see if there are any metal fragments in it (hopefully not), and then changing the ATF for starters.

If that doesn't fix the problem ( I've got a hunch it won't), how would you proceed?
Old February 23rd, 2012, 2:29 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jtlonghorn,

In all honesty, I would recommend having a certified technician inspect the vehicle. They will be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis, and any additional information, after a physical inspection.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 24th, 2012, 3:07 PM
CF Junior Member

UNBELIEVABLE.....

So I took the trailblazer to the local Chevy dealer to get an ATF change and flush. The wife picked it up the next day and drove about 4 miles and noticed major problems. She drove another mile, barely crawling up the hill to make her destination.....Long story short, the black clamp that connects the cooler hose to the transmission cooler came off and all of the ATF leaked out.

I pulled the dipstick and obviously nothing was on it...and it did have a burnt smell to it.

So Louis, if this was your shop how would you make this right? I'm thinking a new transmission, as obvious damage was done. I'm still waiting for the shop to drop the pan to see how much crap is in it.

The manager's initial response was to fill it up w/ ATF, and drive it to make sure it's o.k. I think this is a cheap way out.

Based on my description, how much damage do you think was done to the tranny and what would you ask for to make it right....what if he drops the pan and doesn't find anything, what should I ask for?

Thanks.
Old February 24th, 2012, 5:49 PM
Official GM Rep

I'm sorry to hear this! Unfortunately, I am not a technician, so I cannot comment on any possible damage. I encourage you to work with your dealer though this, they are better equipped.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 26th, 2012, 9:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Louis-

Run this scenario by your manager if you can.....if this happened in your shop, what would you do for me?

Thanks.
Old March 1st, 2012, 1:57 PM
Official GM Rep

If you would like, I can contact the dealer regarding this issue. Please keep in mind that dealerships are individually owned and operated, we are not associated with them, so I cannot make any guarantees.

If you would like me to contact the dealer, please provide PM me the following information: your full name, home address, phone number, vehicle mileage, vehicle VIN number and the name and city of the dealer where you had to the work performed.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 5th, 2012, 6:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Louis-

Thanks for the effort on this. To make a long story short....they offered a 30 day warrenty and I said nothing less than 1 year was acceptable. They went for it.

Fast forward to today when 3rd gear went out altogether....limped 3 miles to the dealer, who is now fixing on their dime
Old March 5th, 2012, 8:54 PM
Official GM Rep

I'm happy to hear they are taking care of you. Thank you for sharing.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: 05 transmission issue