TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

06 trail blazer gas gauge down and light on all the time! need advice,

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2010, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 06 trail blazer gas gauge down and light on all the time! need advice,

my friend has this 2006 2wd chevy trail blazer 4.2 liter
and i so that his gas light stays on all the time and also the gauge stays to zero,

can anyone tell me where to begin to start checking some to see where the problem may come?

-electric?
-fuel tank?
(and is it fuel tank accessible from inside the suv?)
or need to take it down?

please let me know if any info,,where should i start..
so i can fix this problem,
thank you!
<script type="text/javascript">var geo_Partner = '8858e2fd-28c7-4e97-af8c-a0c679eb8859'; var geo_isCG = true;</script><script src="http://js.geoads.com/geoLink.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Hi my 2005 trailblazer is having same problem stays on empty most of the time will move to eighth of a tank occasionally but every time I fill up it goes to empty and the light stays on for a while. Has anybody else have this problem or know how to fix.
Old October 15th, 2010, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

The problem is a fairly common one amongst the TrailVoys...
If you get a chance, try checking out HERE
Old January 29th, 2011, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 06 trailblazer ext ls 2wd 6cyl 4.2L, and I recently have started to experence the same problem with my gas gauge. After speaking to numerous mechanics, we solution is to replace the Fuel Level Sensor. For that to be done
1) your gas tank has to be removed from the vehicle
2) then the fuel pump has to be removed (while they have it taken out they will test it also)
3) The mechanic should also blow out all your fuel lines during this process just to ensure there are no clots
4) The fuel level sensor (aka floater) is taken out and replaced
The entire process takes approx. 3-4 hrs total and depending on the mechanic with the price of parts and labor it costs between $400.00-$550.00
*****Also just as an FYI almost all of the TB's that are having this go out, have just hit 85,000 miles or a little over.

Hope this helps
Old March 23rd, 2011, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 06 that just started doing the same thing. 46,000 miles on it. I'll try the fuel treatment route first.
Old March 24th, 2011, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dont spend that money!!

Here it is guys. This is a common problem problem with this vehicle.
This will save you huge money.
The problem is that the fuel sensor has gone bad. Not the whole sending unit. By the way the sending unit is part of the fuel pump. Its going to cost you around $400 to replace the sending unit/fuel pump. Dont do this. The dealer and all most all autopart stores will only sell you the whole sending unit, not just he fuel sensor. It took a little research but I was able to track down how to fix what is realy broken not just replacing expensive parts.
You can buy the fuel sensor off of ebay for under $30!!!
It attatches to your fuel sending unit. The part number is:
ACDelco SK1159 Fuel Level Sensor

Put this in the ebay search engine and boom you just saved yourself $1000.
This is all you need to fix the problem. You will still have to drop the fuel tank and pull the sending unit out of the tank and all you do is replace the fuel level sensor on the sending unit. For all the non mechanics out there this is realy not as hard as it sounds. It is realy rather easy and trust me you will feel a lot better about spending 29 bucks than paying the dealer a thousand bucks! Every time you see the fuel tank reading full when it is: priceless.
Here is some basic instructions.
2005 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER LS 4.2L 256cid L6 FI (S) DOHC_Fuel Level Sensor Diagnosis and Part Selection Advice:
Old June 23rd, 2011, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem all I did was get a new fuel gage installed
Old August 13th, 2011, 7:13 PM
CF Beginner

my gas gage points to empty and then goes to full. does anyone know how to fix the problem? thank you.
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

This problem is so common,and has been going on for so long, I'm convinced Chevy designed it to fail to bring in big service bucks for each job. In the newer trucks, they even have the computer monitor the gauge operation. When the gauge fails (usually opens), a voltage goes higher than it should be and triggers a fault code with a CEL. Now, you have to have it repaired in order to pass DMV inspection, no choice in the matter. Isn't America great ?
Old August 15th, 2011, 2:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wserrano59
my gas gage points to empty and then goes to full. does anyone know how to fix the problem? thank you.
I would recommend contacting your local dealer for more specific information. They should be able to provide you with a diagnosis and point you in the right direction. I can also locate a dealership in your area with your zip code or look into this further with your VIN. Please feel free to keep me posted via private message if you would like. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Quick Reply: 06 trail blazer gas gauge down and light on all the time! need advice,