TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

2006 SS Shutting Itself Off

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2013, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2006 SS Shutting Itself Off

Here's the story... 2006 SS purchased used. Have had nothing but trouble with the electronics. I got taken by the used car dealership, no doubt about it. Guess that's what I get for buying a Chevy from a Toyota dealership.

Cruise control doesn't work, 10 hours of service labor and 4 replaced parts with no change. Gave up when the dealership threatened to bill me because somehow I had caused it.

Rear HVAC and audio controls light up but don't do anything else; haven't even tried, don't much care.

Had really bad voltage sag when using the power windows or when cruising and letting off the pedal. Bought and installed an aftermarket grounding kit from PCM4Less; pretty solid voltage now with almost no sag. Windows are never slow any more, headlights don't dim, etc.

As mentioned in another thread had the issue with the Service Stabilitrack light, and then the whole system going somewhat berserk applying the brakes at random. Turns out that was a front wheel speed sensor in the hub and replacing both fronts has resolve this issue. Had to figure this one out with some forum users because 4 service visits to 2 different dealerships couldn't get it figured out.

Lost all but 1 heater speed and then it would run even with the truck off. Replaced the little control module under the dash and that sorted that.

One of the front rotors warped just enough to cause a vibration. It was a good excuse for an upgrade.

More recently the truck would light up the whole dash and turn off while driving and sometimes other electronics like the door locks or windows would act weird. Replaced the ignition switch which seemed to resolve those issues.

As part of the above, since the battery started dying and was due for replacement anyways, I put an Optima redtop in it.

Went 3 or 4 months without any issues and suddenly yesterday it's acting up again. Girlfriend drove to an appointment and it died. It would start and run for a few seconds and then shut off. She left it sitting for a few hours and came back to it and it fired right up and drove home without issue, and drove around today again without issue.

I do think there is a short somewhere under the center console as I'll occasionally get some ground loop feedback type noise and a smack on the console stops it. Not looking forward to taking it all out to see what's up but it's on the list.

I've seen some mention of faulty computers causing similar things so I'm going to try to pull codes to see if there's anything there, but if there's something I should look into please hit me with some knowledge.

Any thoughts?
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Hey buddy, this new problem that you are experiencing is sounding similar to the problem that I am having with my 2006 TBSS.. I was picking kids up from school last week and it just shut off.. On Star said it was throwing a Fuel Control System Code and an ignition code.. I took it to my brother who is an auto mechanic and owns a shop.. He hooked up his tester to the alternator which showed it was not outputting enough amps to run the systems in the blazer.. We replaced the alternator, and its still having the same problems.. The engine will crank, and turn over.. but will not fire and stay running unless you disconnect the battery and wait for about 5-10 mins.. Its still throwing a Throttle code(sorry can't remember the code) but its for the throttle sensor at the gas pedal. We are afraid the low amperage got all the systems or possibly the computer. If this sounds close to what you are experiencing and you find a fix, please please email me, reply here or I'll pm you my phone number.. I'd like to get by TBSS running again
Old May 31st, 2013, 1:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

JerWa and DocGnosis,

I am sorry to hear you are having concerns with your vehicles. If you would like we can look into your situation further. Please private message me your name, phone number, mileage, VIN, and GM dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 1st, 2013, 5:45 AM
CF Beginner

Erica,

I purchased the truck used and it's well out of warranty coverage. Is there any reason to pursue this further with you? No point in wasting both of our time if there's nothing you can do.

DocGnosis,

Wish I could tell you. Hooked up an OBDII reader and it couldn't read codes. All the real time data looked fine though, and I haven't been able to repro it dying myself but it's done it again to my girlfriend.

If she goes to several places near eachother e.g. short drive and park, short drive and park, it will die and refuse to run for a while. If she comes back in an hour it will run fine again, and if she plans her trip so she can park once and just walk to all the places it has no issues.

I haven't the foggiest notion what it would be that's so specific and narrow. Good luck figuring yours out too.
Old June 1st, 2013, 6:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

so when the problem is active:

-the engine cranks but won't start or is it a no crank?
- at key on, do you hear the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds when the fault is occuring?
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:24 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

JerWa,

I will send you a private message in regards to your concern.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 2nd, 2013, 6:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
so when the problem is active:

-the engine cranks but won't start or is it a no crank?
- at key on, do you hear the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds when the fault is occuring?
From what she reported it will actually start and run for a few seconds and then turn off.

Don't know on the fuel pump. If I can get the truck to repro it while I'm there I'll see if I can tell.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 7:38 AM
Super Moderator

any theft lights on when it won't start?

You need to get the car scanned for powertrain and body codes. A full function scan tool is needed to retrieve the body codes.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Has anybody really found out whats doing this im so frustrated with mine I want from under her but I don't want to hurt somebody else either I was driving on a couple occasions it shuts off takes for ever to restart late to get daughter from school once from it thank god my husband could leave work to get her my driver side window panel had no control whats so ever but the other windows could operate on their own I still have occasional problems with window panel even while car is going I don't even use my window scared I won't be able to get it up before rain are these two things related did the rest of you figure it out and yes my car did the putt putt thing down the road on occasion as well just worried and not sure where to start thanks in advance
Old October 24th, 2014, 7:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dawn lafferty
Has anybody really found out whats doing this im so frustrated with mine I want from under her but I don't want to hurt somebody else either I was driving on a couple occasions it shuts off takes for ever to restart late to get daughter from school once from it thank god my husband could leave work to get her my driver side window panel had no control whats so ever but the other windows could operate on their own I still have occasional problems with window panel even while car is going I don't even use my window scared I won't be able to get it up before rain are these two things related did the rest of you figure it out and yes my car did the putt putt thing down the road on occasion as well just worried and not sure where to start thanks in advance
there was a recall for the drivers master switch for the window controls. provide a dealer with your vin and they can check if your vehicle is covered.

Quick Reply: 2006 SS Shutting Itself Off