TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

2006 TrailBlazer Won't Start, not battery, not starter

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2011, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 TrailBlazer Won't Start, not battery, not starter

Hi,
Thanks in advance for any assistance you all may provide. My 2006 Trailblazer will not start.

Before it quit, it behaved like the battery was going bad. It was slow to start like the engine didn't have enough battery power to crank but then would turn over. The battery was close to the end of its "designated" life so I thought that was a logical choice. There were no problems driving it once started.

I finished a short errand and turned off the vehicle at the house. Came back out within 3-4 minutes and this time everything would turn, but not enough power to turn over. Trying three or four more times it eventually wouldn't do anything.

I brought the battery to the local parts store, and it tested fine. A nice mechanic from 2 blocks away brought a starter tester and said that the starter is alright. With the two most obvious things out of the way (or so it seems), where do I look next? Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
JRJONESs (February 4th, 2021)
Old November 14th, 2011, 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry trailblazer won't start :(

Like yours my 2006 Trailblazer did the same.

Battery has lots of juice, but I'm just at the preliminary point where I just had a service friend take a look at it and he mentioned a bad starter. I'm in the market now thinking I should get a new starter or a rebuilt. But now you say that your starter passed good... I just don't know>

It started having issues in very same way as yours, like the battery was going out. Hmmm could this be another 2006 model issue?
Old November 15th, 2011, 8:27 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I am sorry to hear about your frustrations. I would suggest taking the vehicle to a dealer so they can run a diagnostic. Let me know how things turn out.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 15th, 2011, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what happened with mine. First, the service technician didn't catch the fact that is WAS a bad starter. When it was replaced, we were running again. I don't have an opinion about new vs. rebuilt. It's probably not a "problem" as much as it's designed NOT to work forever.

This is more for anyone else with a "whine" in their engine of a 2006 Trailblazer.

The model does have a problem with an idler pulley. I hear the distinctive whine of other models like mine used to sound. With the help of a friend, we were able to fix the idler pulley for the cost of a $16 part. All we needed was a decent socket set with like a 15 or 17 mm socket and some muscle to pull down the tensioner pulley when we were on the final belt loop. First the belt has to come off. I replaced ours with one that cost in the $20-30 range. With the belt off, the bolt holding the pulley wasn't hard to take off. Put the socket over the end of the bolt and turn. The bolt isn't visible from above but it's in the only place it could be. It's a perpendicular axle to the pulley so if you'll feel the bolt if you reach to the center of the pulley on the side of the fan/radiator. We switched the pulleys out, i.e. put the new one and the spacer over the bolt, inserted the bolt where it used to be and tightened. The washer/spacer was pretty warped and the replacement pulley didn't come with washer. We needed to get that as well. The pulley is about 3 inches in diameter. This X is where this pulley was as I recall.

.....L ........................O
.......T...................X
...............................O
..................O

I might have left a pulley off at the bottom but this is from memory. It doesn't matter. 1. Just begin at the top right, 2. work down then 3. back up to the left. I don't work on cars, but this wasn't tough to understand. The diagram for the belt sequence is on the plastic above the radiator. You don't need to remove anything to put the belt on. Start threading at the top right and make one of the ones marked L or T the last one. I think we did L because it was easiest to reach from the top to slide the belt on. The tensioner pulley (T) has to be pulled down with quite a bit of force for the belt to fit. It has a couple of square holes in it where we put the socket wrench (without the socket obviously) directly into the tensioner pulley so that we could pull down from underneath the vehicle.

I'm sure that many will have more informed points on all this. I know I'd never done it before and that it wasn't difficult other than the amount of strength it took to pull down the tensioner pulley.

Last edited by attycda; November 15th, 2011 at 9:18 AM.
Old November 26th, 2011, 5:54 AM
CF Beginner

Cool thanks! I was wondering if you did the starter change yourself and if you had to grow another foot in your arms to get it off and replace? ugh! I'm trying to avoid a tow and do it myself... I'm mechanically savvy, just short, and a bit worried about ending up head first stuck under my manifold... ugh
Old July 18th, 2012, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default wont start

Bear with me im not fluent in threads or car-speak but here is my issue

I have a 2006 Trailblazer and it wont start... if it does start then it turns off. THere is no clicking or ramdom bad engine noises ...just turns off. The battery seems to be good and tested well. My husband cleaned the throttle body and reset the computer...that helped and it ran great for the day but the next day nothing. I tried resetting the computer again but still nothing. Any suggestions?
Old July 19th, 2012, 7:32 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by mnkymommy
Bear with me im not fluent in threads or car-speak but here is my issue

I have a 2006 Trailblazer and it wont start... if it does start then it turns off. THere is no clicking or ramdom bad engine noises ...just turns off. The battery seems to be good and tested well. My husband cleaned the throttle body and reset the computer...that helped and it ran great for the day but the next day nothing. I tried resetting the computer again but still nothing. Any suggestions?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Does it crank, but not turn over? There may be an issue with the connection between the starter motor and the solenoid. This is merely a suggestion, it is not meant as a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to offer additional information after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 20th, 2012, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

it doesnt do anything... i turn the key and the only sound i hear are dings from the dash and the light that has an engine with a downward arrow. I do want to get it looked at but have to wait till we have the money
Old July 20th, 2012, 3:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is the headlight switch on by chance? I just had an elderly couple tell me thier 06 battery was dead, I went and jumped it, turned out they had left the headlights on instead of auto. Same thing, try to start, deader than a hammer.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 1:08 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by mnkymommy
it doesnt do anything... i turn the key and the only sound i hear are dings from the dash and the light that has an engine with a downward arrow. I do want to get it looked at but have to wait till we have the money
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Understandable. The light of an engine with a down arrow indicates the vehicle is in reduced power mode. However, without an inspection of the vehicle, it can be difficult to determine the cause of the problem.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2006 TrailBlazer Won't Start, not battery, not starter