TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

2008 Trailblazer engine replace

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2014, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Trailblazer engine replace

Hello,

New to the forum and hoping I can get some advice, as Im not sure where else to go. I am, the owner of a 2008 trailblazer with 95500 Miles.

A couple weeks ago I was on a small road trip (From Wisconsin to Illinois), and getting off the freeway my car died. I had it towed to a firestone,(The only place open on a sunday nearby) who determined the battery and alternator were shot. I had them replaced. When the car was returned to me there was a loud knocking sound and the idle was extremley rough. They were un-willing to take the car back, and after much arguing they looked at it and determined there were additional issues with the car. I had it taken to a dealership, who determined a 'rod' was thrown or the 'timing chanin' was broken. There recommended fix, (Without knowing what the problem is) replace the engine. 6500$ for a used engine with about 50000 miles, or a 'new rebuilt' engine from gm for 9500.

I called chevy (Through the contact us section on Chevrolet.com, owner questions) to ask what the expected life of this engine should be, and was told " 5-6 Years was good, and should listen to the Chevrolet service center"...

Now none of this seems reasonable to me.. 5-6 years for a car to run? Regardless of the miles per year? Replace the engine without knowing what's wrong? I get diagnosis might be quite expensive.. But just replace the engine instead?? Any feedback or advice on what to do here would be greatly appreciated.

PS, Before the power cut out on the freeway, the car was running, as far as I could tell perfectly.

Thanks for any help advice or feedback.
Old October 13th, 2014, 9:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds a little shakey to me . If you take care of these engines most will go to at least 200000 miles . If you got no light or alarms before it died I would be very suspicious of the diagnosis .

Last edited by vipergg22; October 14th, 2014 at 5:13 PM.