TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Fuel Sending Unit

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2014, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Sending Unit

Needed to replace the Fuel Sending Unit on my 2005 Trailblazer. Ordered a replacement and installed it. Ran good for several days then would not start unless I primed it by turning the ignition on and off several times.

My mechanic looked it over and determined that the fuel sending unit was defective. I ordered a another and had it installed. Two weeks it ran fine. Now I have to prime it again to get it to start.

How can I get this issue resolved.

Also, does the computer have to be reset with the replacement of a fuel sending unit.

Thank you for any help with this.
Harley
Old November 13th, 2014, 1:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

When you say fuel sending unit, do you mean the fuel pump assembly? Have you been changing the complete fuel pump? It is not common for them to go bad that quick. If you buy the cheap off brand units they will tend to fail quickly. If after priming it the truck runs OK then the problem is with the check valve in the fuel pump. I have never had to reset the computer after changing a fuel pump.
Old November 13th, 2014, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

oldchevy,

Thanks for getting back to me. What I have replaced twice is the unit the fits down inside the fuel tank. It appears to be an off brand as it cost $72. A name brand unit is about $400 at Advance Auto.

Can just the check valve be repaired/replaced.

Harley
Old November 13th, 2014, 9:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by harley3348
oldchevy,

Thanks for getting back to me. What I have replaced twice is the unit the fits down inside the fuel tank. It appears to be an off brand as it cost $72. A name brand unit is about $400 at Advance Auto.

Can just the check valve be repaired/replaced.

Harley
oldchevy is most likely right, when you say sending unit. That generally refers to the float level or the unit that goes into the tank with the lines and level sensor less the pump. At $75.00 I would be surprised the unit contains the pump. Another thing to check is if this truck has the oval connector close to the front of the gas tank, check the ground wire in that connector as i have seen poor connections there.
Old November 14th, 2014, 6:04 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks burhead1 for the info. I will take a look at the ground wire as you suggest.

Here is a photo of the unit that I used.

Harley

Fuel Sending Unit-fuel-sending-unit.jpg
Old November 14th, 2014, 9:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by harley3348
Thanks burhead1 for the info. I will take a look at the ground wire as you suggest.

Here is a photo of the unit that I used.

Harley

Attachment 7344
That is a good price if includes all that.