TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

My P0496 Solution

Old January 12th, 2016, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My P0496 Solution

Hi guys,

I had my check engine light on and the OBDII code was P0496 (...purge flow on non-purge condition...). So I checked the EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve and found it to be faulty (always open).

Fix #1:
changed the Purge Solenoid Valve and it fixed the issue.

BUT after two months, check engine light lit up again and the same code, P0496, so I checked the EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve and it had a "small leak" at close position (the solenoid works). I tried cleaning it with carb cleaner but either I didn't do it properly or it couldn't clean it up.

Fix#2:
changed the EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve again BUT this time I thought of putting a fuel filter before it to filter any debris that might get sucked up and cause it to fail.

in-line fuel filter inserted before the EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve (to filter any debris that may get sucked up).

BTW, not that it matters, the first EVAP Solenoid that I bought was BWD and the second one was the OEM AcDelco.

Anyway, please let me know how this idea sounds...

Thanks!
Old January 12th, 2016, 1:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

as long as it doesn't set any purge flow dtc; seems like its a good idea.

Last edited by tech2; January 12th, 2016 at 7:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 12th, 2016, 1:51 PM
CF Veteran

I'd lean more to finding a way to relocate the vent solenoid/vent filter. A for creativity though.
Old January 13th, 2016, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

the vacuum line actually goes to the charcoal canister (which located on top of the gas tank) and I think my charcoal canister is already dirty, so this seemed to be the cheapest solution aside from the pain of dropping the tank to replace the charcoal canister (btw, I just changed my fuel pump assembly so I am positive about the "work" involved)

It's the evap canister vent solenoid valve that other owner's relocate to the engine bay rather than being there beside the gas tank.
Old January 13th, 2016, 8:21 PM
CF Veteran

yea the air comes in the vent solenoid through the canister to the purge solenoid...so if debris is getting to your purge solenoid its already been through everything else
Old December 13th, 2023, 4:16 AM
CF Beginner

Smile did it work??

Originally Posted by chevy325
Hi guys,

I had my check engine light on and the OBDII code was P0496 (...purge flow on non-purge condition...). So I checked the EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve and found it to be faulty (always open).

Fix #1:
changed the Purge Solenoid Valve and it fixed the issue.

BUT after two months, check engine light lit up again and the same code, P0496, so I checked the EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve and it had a "small leak" at close position (the solenoid works). I tried cleaning it with carb cleaner but either I didn't do it properly or it couldn't clean it up.

Fix#2:
changed the EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve again BUT this time I thought of putting a fuel filter before it to filter any debris that might get sucked up and cause it to fail.

in-line fuel filter inserted before the EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve (to filter any debris that may get sucked up).

BTW, not that it matters, the first EVAP Solenoid that I bought was BWD and the second one was the OEM AcDelco.

Anyway, please let me know how this idea sounds...

Thanks!
well did it work?? mines came back again....dont wanna go to dealer they take 3 hours for a 10 min job

Search this Thread