TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Need Help with Pin Pointing OBD Code P0171 Chevy Trailblazer 2007 V6

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2016, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Pin Pointing OBD Code P0171 Chevy Trailblazer 2007 V6

Hello,

For a little over a month, P0171 (System to Lean) code comes up. My brother has cleaned the throttle and the MAF. It then worked fine for a few weeks, then the code came up again and the sputtering started. He took it to O' Reilys Auto Parts. They had said since you removed the throttle and put it back in, it would need to retrain itself. He then removed it again and cleaned out other parts in the car. Just the other day, my car started sputtering again in the morning. It runs fine the rest of the day. Also, when I was out of town the other day, my car sat for about 4 days with a low tank of gas. When we were traveling on the highway, my reduced power engine light came on. Once I filled up with gas it was fine. I am just trying to see what could be the problem. Do I need a new O2 sensor, a change of the manifold gasket, fuel injector cleaning. Not sure. The car is good to drive, but would like to fix this problem.
Old July 6th, 2016, 1:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the throttle body won't cause a lean condition.

what engine?
is the fuel trim lean on both banks or just one...check with a scan tool. both banks may be lean but it may be setting just one code.

check the fuel trim on both banks when in closed loop (warmed up) at idle and held at 2500rpm. report the results.
Old July 6th, 2016, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is lean on 1 bank. Someone mentioned to me, that my fuel injectors may be clogged and need to be cleaned.
Old July 6th, 2016, 7:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Ya, I got that...its lean. I need to know the live fuel trim readings to be able to help you.

clogged injectors; its possible but rare. lets rule the more common issues before going there.

Last edited by tech2; July 6th, 2016 at 7:06 PM.