TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Problem with 2003 Chevy Trailblazer

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2010, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with 2003 Chevy Trailblazer

I own a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer and I had a very strange experience the other day and was wondering if anyone had anything similar happen to them. The first thing that happened was that my car shut off on the highway. I was able to coast to the bottom of the next off ramp and then restart the car with no problem. I stupidly continued on to my destination, where when I tried to restart the car, it would not start. Nothing happened when I turned the key. We decided to jump it to see if that would start it. The car cranked, but it wouldn't turn over. It just cranked non-stop with the gaugues going haywire and every light on the dashboard lit. Even after I removed the key from the ignition. We had to remove the relay from the fuse box to get it to stop.
I then had the car towed to a garage, where the tow operator could not get the car into neutral to take it off the flatbed. Once we finally did get it off (you don't want to know how), the mechanic changed the relay to get the non-stop cranking to stop. He was finally able to start the car by jumping the solenoid, but it wouldn't start again after he turned it off. Finally, he checked the computer and got no error codes.
He finally seemed to clear the issue by rebooting the computer and having it relearn the passcode. This seems to have fixed everything, but I'm not at all confident it won't happen again. Has anyone experienced anything like this with the Trailblazer or heard anything similar? I'm trying to figure out if its worth keeping the car at this point. Thanks.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 4:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the trailblazers are known for having very funny issues (like yours) when the ignition switch begins to fail....

just odd events.
Many trailblazer/Envoy owners change out the ignition switch- and all is well. I think its about $30....