TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Replaced transmission but it won't engage

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2013, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced transmission but it won't engage

I just replaced the automatic transmission on my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer (4.2 I6) with a rebuilt one I bought from a reputable transmission shop in Denver. I do realize that even a rebuilt tranny has the potential for problems but before I yank out the rebuilt transmission out I need some help troubleshooting - PLEASE.

Problem: The transmission won't fully engage in drive and does not engage at all in any other gear (R, 3, 2, 1).

I will preface this by saying I have checked, double checked and checked again, at least 6 more times, all of my connection including oil cooling lines, electrical/wiring, transmission fluid while in park/idling and everything else I can think of.

Here is the situation...

The transmission and transfer case was removed from the engine block as a single unit. NOTE: It was a cumbersome and heavy SOB so if you are a DIY'er, like myself, I would highly recommend you remove the transfer case first then the transmission. The torque converter was NOT removed.

The removal and replacement of the transmission and transfer case was uneventful. Once everything was put back together, I filled it with 11 quarts of Dex VI (recommended by many on this forum) that I bought ($$$ - practically had to finance) from Chevy dealership. The capacity for the torque converter is 6 quarts and the pan is 5 quarts. I then started the car and let it idle while I checked the transmission fluid level. It was 6" up the dipstick so I assumed two things: #1: Either the torque converter was already full (since I never removed and drained it) and I overfilled the system, OR #2: The fluid didn't have a chance to circulate through the system. To test assumption #2 I shifted through the different "gears" (R, N, D, 3, 2, 1) while idling and in doing so I realized the car would not move in any gear. I left it in each gear for 10 seconds and shifted through all gears at least 5 times - to no avail.

The next morning, I jacked the car back up to check, yet again, my connections. I also tried starting the car, checking the (overfilled) fluid, and then tried putting the car in the different gears - while it was up on the jack stands. I noticed when the car was in "Drive" and I pressed on the gas pedal the rear tires would turn but only if I really accelerated. There was clearly no power to the rear end but it did have some (very little) power. None of the other gears would cause the rear tires to turn.

I went and removed approximately 5 - 6 quarts of transmission fluid from the pan. I then re-started the car, checked the dipstick and noticed the level was still high (3" up the stick) and then shifted the transmission through the different gears to see if the tires would turn. No change - When in Drive, the rear tires would turn slowly when accelerating. Otherwise - nada, nothing.

I am at a complete loss and cannot figure out what I am overlooking. It seems that fluid is not circulating but I don't know why. What steps do you recommend I take in troubleshooting this mystery?

Some of my thoughts are:

- Reset transmission?
- Vacuum leak?
- Bad electrical connection?
- Too much fluid?
- Wrong fluid type?
- Bad transmission?
- Take it to the shop to check codes?
- Donate the car to charity?

Thank you, in advance, for your help.
Old February 28th, 2015, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

I just replaced my 4l60e and having the same exact problem... what was the fix with your problem?
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsaager1989
I just replaced my 4l60e and having the same exact problem... what was the fix with your problem?
So the vehicle is stuck in park?
Old March 1st, 2015, 7:43 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Double check the adjustment of the shifter cable.
Old March 1st, 2015, 7:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,
Im Gary, i have a shop in new york, Question, When you have the corect amout of fluid in the chevy, the fluid is showing way up on the stick?
Old March 1st, 2015, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

No I can get all gears and can hear and see the rpms changes like it's engaging. When I first started the truck would not get any movement in any gear. After a few minutes of idling and going threw the gears can get the gears and slight move in all of them. I'm thinking I don't have enough fluid in the system. Gonna add some
More today And see what happens. Looked like it was on the dipstick but hard to tell for sure
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Ok, sounds good. If the fluid is not even on both sides of the stick, always go with the lower side. Gary
Old March 1st, 2015, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Kept adding fluid and level kept barely showing. Would add fluid and drive it. Shifts kept getting better and after 5 more quarts running like new again!
Old March 2nd, 2015, 7:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Glad to hear its working. Gary
Old January 14th, 2021, 1:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default Please help

Originally Posted by jpcloutier
I just replaced the automatic transmission on my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer (4.2 I6) with a rebuilt one I bought from a reputable transmission shop in Denver. I do realize that even a rebuilt tranny has the potential for problems but before I yank out the rebuilt transmission out I need some help troubleshooting - PLEASE.

Problem: The transmission won't fully engage in drive and does not engage at all in any other gear (R, 3, 2, 1).

I will preface this by saying I have checked, double checked and checked again, at least 6 more times, all of my connection including oil cooling lines, electrical/wiring, transmission fluid while in park/idling and everything else I can think of.

Here is the situation...

The transmission and transfer case was removed from the engine block as a single unit. NOTE: It was a cumbersome and heavy SOB so if you are a DIY'er, like myself, I would highly recommend you remove the transfer case first then the transmission. The torque converter was NOT removed.

The removal and replacement of the transmission and transfer case was uneventful. Once everything was put back together, I filled it with 11 quarts of Dex VI (recommended by many on this forum) that I bought ($$$ - practically had to finance) from Chevy dealership. The capacity for the torque converter is 6 quarts and the pan is 5 quarts. I then started the car and let it idle while I checked the transmission fluid level. It was 6" up the dipstick so I assumed two things: #1: Either the torque converter was already full (since I never removed and drained it) and I overfilled the system, OR #2: The fluid didn't have a chance to circulate through the system. To test assumption #2 I shifted through the different "gears" (R, N, D, 3, 2, 1) while idling and in doing so I realized the car would not move in any gear. I left it in each gear for 10 seconds and shifted through all gears at least 5 times - to no avail.

The next morning, I jacked the car back up to check, yet again, my connections. I also tried starting the car, checking the (overfilled) fluid, and then tried putting the car in the different gears - while it was up on the jack stands. I noticed when the car was in "Drive" and I pressed on the gas pedal the rear tires would turn but only if I really accelerated. There was clearly no power to the rear end but it did have some (very little) power. None of the other gears would cause the rear tires to turn.

I went and removed approximately 5 - 6 quarts of transmission fluid from the pan. I then re-started the car, checked the dipstick and noticed the level was still high (3" up the stick) and then shifted the transmission through the different gears to see if the tires would turn. No change - When in Drive, the rear tires would turn slowly when accelerating. Otherwise - nada, nothing.

I am at a complete loss and cannot figure out what I am overlooking. It seems that fluid is not circulating but I don't know why. What steps do you recommend I take in troubleshooting this mystery?

Some of my thoughts are:

- Reset transmission?
- Vacuum leak?
- Bad electrical connection?
- Too much fluid?
- Wrong fluid type?
- Bad transmission?
- Take it to the shop to check codes?
- Donate the car to charity?

Thank you, in advance, for your help.
I'm having the same problem could you please lete know what you done ! I put a freshly rebuilt transmission in my 2005 Chevy trailblazer with a new torque converter also. I added 13 quarts to it and it will not pull at all !!!

Quick Reply: Replaced transmission but it won't engage