TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Solid Check Engine Light, Won't Crank

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2015, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Solid Check Engine Light, Won't Crank

I went to start my truck today (2008 Trailblazer) and it sounded as if it was going to crank over, but instead, it died and the clock reset itself.

Here's what happens when I try to start my vehicle:

I turn the ignition key to the start position in an attempt to start the engine and most of the time, I hear no sounds at all. When I do hear any sound, it sounds like a couple of clicks in the engine, sometimes, I hear a series of clicks. When I let go of the key, all of the warning lights come on for a few seconds and then disappear except for the Check Engine Light, which stays solid yellow, along with the little light under the "P" to show me the transmission is in Park. When this first began, the STIL (StabiliTrak Indicator Light) was not staying on, now it is after flashing 6 times, then it stays a solid yellow. While the warning lights go out, the 'doorbell' dings 5 times while the Airbag light flashes red. After that, I'm left with the Park position, Check Engine and the STIL lights on.

When I turn the key to the Alt (first position in the ignition switch) position, either from the OFF position or from the Start position, the red battery icon comes on and stays on. It is not on in the Start position. The radio, windows, back wiper and windshield wipers (although they are very slow in the fastest position) all work in the Alt position on the ignition, but the fan for the blower (heater/air) does not.

When I turn the key to the Start position, everything works, including the blower fan. When I turn the fan selection to about any position (it seems to vary, as sometimes nothing happens in positions 1 and 2, sometimes it does) the Seatbelt, ABS, Parking Brake and the STIL (which blinks 7 times before staying a solid yellow) lights all light up along with the doorbell dinging 33 times quickly. Sometimes, just the Check Ignition and the STIL lights stay lit by themselves. Once, the red battery icon lit up and stayed solid. If I turn the fan all the way to position 5 and then start turning it back to 4, then 3, the Airbag light blinks then goes off. Sometimes, the Airbag light comes on at position 4 and stays solid until I shut the key off.

The fuel gauge works in the Start position, however, the battery gauge stays in the red near the 9 position at all times (whether in Start or Alt). The clock is resetting back to the 12:00 position every time I attempt to start the vehicle.

Does all this weird stuff happen when my battery is dead ...or does it sound like I have problems other than a dead battery? I'm guessing it's dead since the red icon is on in the first position and it's making a few clicking sounds after it has rested (without me trying to start it). Why doesn't the battery icon come on in the Start position if they battery is dead?

My battery has not been giving me any problems, so I'm wondering why it's dead. I've not noticed anything unusual about the battery gauge, except it's occasionally been a couple of dots to the right of the 14 on the battery gauge when I first start it up.

I had my truck in the shop 7/24/15 to have the brakes looked at and an oil change. I've driven it twice since then with no problems. I checked the gas cap to make sure it was closed properly. I don't drive it very much, as I'm ill and haven't been leaving the house much in the past year.

I'm presently waiting for someone to get here to put the battery on a charger (give me a jump, or take the battery in to test it. Waiting to see what he thinks). Is there anything I should be checking, other than the state of the battery?

Thank you.