TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Speedometer stuck - will not go to zero

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2007, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speedometer stuck - will not go to zero

I too have a 2003 Silverado that's out of warranty of course. Can you tell me how do I go about getting that "US speedo version" you are talking about? Thanks for the help.
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

THIS HAPPENED TO MY 2004 LT. I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER(COURTESY CHEVROLET MERCED, CA)AND THEY SWAPPED OUT THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. DIDNT COST ME A THING BECAUSE I HAD THE WARRANTY (UNDER 36K MILES)

HOWEVER..... IF YOU COMPLAIN ENOUGH AND THE PROBLEM STARTED WHEN THERE WAS A WARRANTY, YOU CAN HAVE IT REPLACED FOR FREE. THATS WHAT THE SERVICE ADVISOR TOLD ME

THE SPEEDO WAS STICKING AND THEN GOT COMPLETLY STUCK AT 15 MPH INCREMENTS. EVERYTIME I STOPPED THE SPEED STOPPED 15 MPH HIGHER THAN BEFORE.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR QUEST

Old March 4th, 2007, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

The problem is the small stepper motors in the instrument cluster that move all of the needles (Speedo, tach, gas, temp, etc.). If GM won't fix it for free, and you've exhausted all other avenues, you have some options without paying GM several hundreds of $. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can fix the speedo for about $12, and the whole cluster for about $75, or you can have someone repair it all for you for about $150. The problem is the same withseveral 2003 to 2007 GM vehicles: most trucks andSUVs, and somecars. See my post in another forum for more details: http://www.topix.net/forum/autos/che...2MN19BL1D2J/p8
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Are there any instructions on removing the speedometer cluster from 2003 Trailblazer? I have the same problem with speedo and RPM needles going crazy
Old July 25th, 2007, 9:39 PM
pjb
CF Beginner

I have a 2004 Impala SS. The speedometer will not drop to 0; it's at 55 when the engine is off. I was hoping the system would reset itself by shutting off the engine and restarting, but that didn't happen. From what I have read on the forum, the only way to correct this is to replace the instrument cluster. Is this correct? Thanks,
Old July 26th, 2007, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

My speedometer will get stuck between 30-70. Eventually after 2 days of driving it will reset back to 0 and last for several weeks until it happens again. I know eventually I will need to replace but dealing with it for now. Same thing happens to tachometer and after a day or so will reset.
Old August 1st, 2007, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Our 2003 I6 EXT just turned 106,000 miles and the oil pressure gauge would go to zero, and then pop right up and be normal. And then zero again. Our independant told be its very common with current GM SUV's right now.

This truck has been very good to us so far but the gauge issue worries my wife when she sees zero oil pressure!
Old November 2nd, 2007, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

I'm new to the sight and did not see any recent comments about the speedometer issue. I also had the same problem but only once, thanks to all of you for your responses to the individuals message, now when mine goes out again and continues I know what I'm facing. Anyone out there have any ideas on getting this to be a recall? I appears that many & many different vehicles are have the same problem.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 6:20 PM
CF Beginner

there is a special policy that covers these clusters 7 years or 70,000 miles.its pretty new ,check your dealer
Old November 10th, 2007, 3:55 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I had, well currently have if I ever disconnect the battery, that same problem. Disconnect the battery and reconnect. you may have to spark the post a couple of times to get it to zero out if just disconnecting doesn't work.

Quick Reply: Speedometer stuck - will not go to zero