TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Speedometer stuck - will not go to zero

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speedometer stuck - will not go to zero

I just had this occur on my 03 Trailblazer and is costing me 400+ to get fixed. I called chevy regarding the issue and they are "looking into it". I personally think this is ridiculous and don't understand why there are special provisions on Tahoe's, Envoy's, etc, but not Trailblazers.

Old November 16th, 2007, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

On the way top work my 2003 Silverado just started the same. It has 103,000 and has been a great truck but I hate to drop 5 bills for a speedo fix. Seems like its a quality issue not just a intermittent problem. Has anyone gotten any assistance from GM on the cost if your vehicle was out of warranty?
Old November 20th, 2007, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Well, on my way home while using the cruise control at 70 mph, my speedometer is stuck as well and won't move on my 2004 Trailblazer EXT. I still have the extended warranty left, so guess I'll take it in. Bummer!!!
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

I own a 2003 trailblazer and have been expierncing this problem since shortly after I bought it. The dealer had told me that they could not find the problem since it always seemed to work when I took it in. This year my gas gauge completely failed and no longer works. I was finally able to get the problem diagnosed but now I am passed my waranty so they will not fix it. GM has just sent out letters to 03-04 Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban and Avalanche owners extending a waranty on their clusters for this exact problem, I have been on the phone with them for two days and all they tell me is that they have not had enough complaints to add Trailblazer to the extension. We all need to call and voice our complaints even if you have since had it fixed.
Old December 17th, 2007, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2004 Trailblazer and have had the same problem with the speedometer. What the person I talked to at the corporate level said was that there have not been enough complaints about the Trailblazer speedometer problem to make them take action. If you have this problem or you have had this problem and gotten it fixed, complain to Chevy corporate so they will be forced into action. Why should we suffer because we don't have Tahoes, Avalanches, Silverados, etc.?
Old January 24th, 2008, 7:51 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: Matt3680

I have a 2004 Trailblazer and have had the same problem with the speedometer. What the person I talked to at the corporate level said was that there have not been enough complaints about the Trailblazer speedometer problem to make them take action. If you have this problem or you have had this problem and gotten it fixed, complain to Chevy corporate so they will be forced into action. Why should we suffer because we don't have Tahoes, Avalanches, Silverados, etc.?
Does anybody know who to call to make a complaint? Mine just started acting up last night on my way home from work, and I was not using cruise control at the time. I was just starting up from a red light and it was suddenly registering 100 mph. By the time I got home, three miles later, it was topped out above 120.
Old January 24th, 2008, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Hi, I know how you feel, I am equally as frustrated! My 05 TB speedometer went out this morning. I was in a school zone and it read 50mph, when I know I was barely at a crawl. I guess we should try to call 1-800-chevusa. Maybe if we both called today we could get some results. My warranty is expired and I hate to think what this is gonna cost....
Old January 28th, 2008, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

Same problem. It started once the temp hit below freezing in my area for the first time this year also. My speedometer was reading a lot faster than I was going, for example it said 120mph when I was going about 10mph. Everyday is different with the wacky speedometer, one day it will read 0mph, the next it will work and so on. I bought it used and it has 83,000 miles on it.

As per the encouragement from previous messages, I called and filed a complaint. EVERYONE MUST CALL CHEVROLET AND FILE A COMPLAINT. As per the Chevrolet Customer Service Desk, they must receive a set number of complaints for the same problem before they will issue a recall

The number I called was (800) 222-1020 and filed a complaint.
Chevy is aware of this problem, and I even talked to my friend who works at GMC dealership and he said they get 5-10 GMC/Chevy's from 2003-2004 in to replace the speedometer. Everyone just needs to call and file complaints.

Also call 1-866-790-5700 Ext. 11975 and talked to Salvador. Heset up an appointment for GMC to do a diagnostic on my truck and GMC will pay for the problem if it is the cluster/speedometer! I will see if this pans out............................
Old January 28th, 2008, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

See my post:

Same problem. It started once the temp hit below freezing in my area for the first time this year also. My speedometer was reading a lot faster than I was going, for example it said 120mph when I was going about 10mph. Everyday is different with the wacky speedometer, one day it will read 0mph, the next it will work and so on. I bought it used and it has 83,000 miles on it.

As per the encouragement from previous messages, I called and filed a complaint. EVERYONE MUST CALL CHEVROLET AND FILE A COMPLAINT. As per the Chevrolet Customer Service Desk, they must receive a set number of complaints for the same problem before they will issue a recall

The number I called was (800) 222-1020 and filed a complaint.
Chevy is aware of this problem, and I even talked to my friend who works at GMC dealership and he said they get 5-10 GMC/Chevy's from 2003-2004 in to replace the speedometer. Everyone just needs to call and file complaints.

Also call 1-866-790-5700 Ext. 11975 and talked to Salvador. Heset up an appointment for GMC to do a diagnostic on my truck and GMC will pay for the problem if it is the cluster/speedometer! I will see if this pans out............................
Old February 12th, 2008, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

Is there going to be a recall for this because i have had this problem on mine for a while and i am well past the warranty. I dont feel like paying the 4 or 5 hundred to get it fixed.

Quick Reply: Speedometer stuck - will not go to zero