TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

TrailBlazer Shut Off Issue

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2017, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TrailBlazer Shut Off Issue

'07 TrailBlazer here. I'm sure this has been discussed here before. I'm new to this forum. Anyone else having a shut off problem? I have three variations occuring: Momentary shut off; Loss of power than stalls out and it just dies-sometime silently-no warning.

The above only happens in colder weather-from October thru March and this is the forth year I have been having this problem.

Blazer has been to the dealer countless times. No cure

Now have 150,000 and I'm consider having a new engine installed.

Any thoughts to this problem? I'm getting a little tired of dropping into neutral on the interstate and re-starting the engine.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

I have an '06 Trailblazer that had the same problem...stalling out of the blue and the engine was miss-firing as well. So I took it to my mechanic. He replaced all 6 spark plugs (which fixed the miss-fire) and he changed the ignition coil. That was the beginning of the year and I haven't had any stalling issues since. I hope this helps!
Old February 25th, 2017, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

I have an 02 TBLS and have worked on this issue on and off for 12 years. I have checked all of my evap lines, replaced the purge valve (solenoid) and watched it happen on a TECH2 with no clue. In my particular case, the shutdown tended to happen in the first few minutes of driving, but not always. And the TB would start right up. After much, much reading on the subject, I finally replaced the Cam Phaser Valve (located next to and above the power steering pump) which was leaking oil. Oil soaked even into the plug and harness. The original phaser valve was pristine other than that.
The part is a Delphi SL 10064, costs about $55 (Amazon) and takes about 30 minutes or less to change. I removed the 3 bolts holding the power steering pump (bolts are accessible thru the pulley), moved the pump off to the side a bit, and removed one bolt to release the valve.

Since I replaced that part, I have seen the RPM drop slightly on occasion, but there has been no shutoff (knocking on wood). Maybe the cam phaser valve replacement confused the gremlins and they are simply plotting their revenge.

The first thing I would try is to locate this valve, see if it is leaking externally and check the plug and harness for oil. If both are dry, this may not solve the problem.

Best of luck!
Old February 27th, 2017, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion on the Cam Phaser Valve and the link to buy. At this point I'll try anything that might work.

I replaced the plugs and ignition wires last year and that didn't make a difference. Replaced the MAS Air Flow Sensor a few years ago too but that didn't solve the issue. I forget the codes I pulled but the Crank Sensor was one code and it makes sense. If the Sensor isn't lining up because of crank end play but to say there's no fix or replacement part(s), that's hard to believe.

Well as well as the weather is unseasonable warmer I'm in pretty safe territory. But that potential shut off is always lurking.
Old March 5th, 2017, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

FYI, Now 2 months after replacing the cam phaser valve and no shutoffs. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Last night the wife and I were driving on I95 in Florida. We got off on an exit and everything was fine. Sitting at a stop light my 2005 TB just stalled. No hesitation, rough idle, no shuddering. It just shut off, almost as if you turned the key.

I put it in park at the light and it started right back up, no check engine light, idle was fine and it ran great.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.