TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Whining

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2007, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining

Hello everyone, Im new to the Trailblazer area. I have had one now for about 10 months. Its been pretty good vehicle. Took it on a 150 miles tripfor the first time and it did pretty well. I have a complaint though. Its this whining. At first it was low, but still noticable, but now its loud and annoying. Can someone tell me what the deal is??
Old August 5th, 2007, 2:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Whining

How bout a better description? Where does it seem to be coming from? Does it change pitch or volume with the engine or anything else? Does it whine when you are sitting still, or just when you are moving? Anything else that might help someone help you?
Old August 6th, 2007, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

The whining is constant. It gets louder with a the rpms raised in or out of gear. doesnt seem to be jerking around, it still takes off and drives well, shifts well. To me it sounds like a power steering whine, but its full of steering fluid. I check then changed the oil, thinking that it may be low. I checked the tranny fluid, but I was unable to notice it being low. There was fluid on the add and Hot. What could it be.

By The Way, Im sorry about not leaving more information. I usually do better at this. I was distracted by people and didnt get what I wanted to type out with them talking to me. I feel soooooo stupid. but PLEASE HELP!!
Old August 6th, 2007, 9:58 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In another forum, there is a thread that you might take a look at about the same or a similar problem and using synthetic power steering fluid to quiet the pump. Perhaps some of theinformationthere will help you find a fix.

https://chevroletforum.com/m_33007/tm.htm
Old September 12th, 2007, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Hello all!

I just bought a '07 TBlazer on Monday night. Tuesday night, I started hearing a whining sound. I had the dealer's service center look at it (it was in the shop for them to install remote start for me) and they told me that it's a normal sound.

I didn't hear this whine at all Monday night or all day Tuesday, but on Tuesday night, this started. I only hear it when increasing speed such as from a stop light/sign. I've never heard this whining on any other vehicle. It sounds similar to power steering whine but I don't know.

It's only got 67 miles on it.

Thanks.
Old January 10th, 2008, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

whining problem on our trailblazer was the belt tensioner pulley - replaced and sound gone
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2005 Trailblazer with 37,5000 miles on it. It too has the whinning noise. I've had it for about 3-4 months now.
It does sound like pwr steering, but fluid it good to go. The whinning noise its loud in idle, but when the RPM's go up, it
gets louder. The sound comes from the area around the alternator.

Also, when you had the tensioner replaced, how much did that cost you?

I called the dealership, and they told me it would cost $88 per item to run a diagnostic.
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:09 PM
CF Beginner

well Midas fixed the problem. the noise was coming from the idler pulley. the bearing was worn and was causing all the noise. it took about 45 min to fix and costed aprox $130 (parts and labor).
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

definitely the idler pulley. seems to be a problematic area for these suvs. I have an '05 that had the same problem. noise is very similar to a power steering pump going bad, but its on the driver side underneath the alternator.
my sister also has an '05 and guess what! hers is starting to whine now as well.
around 20 bucks for the idler pulley.
simple repair, just the one bolt holds it in.
Old April 15th, 2008, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Mine is not the Idler pulley just changed it . I noticed the whinning stops when the A/C is on. It has to be the A/C pulley. The noise stops when the clutch engages. Don' t know what to do yet change the whole A/C compressor or just the pulley

Quick Reply: Whining