Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

09 Traverse Transmission

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2014, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Traverse Transmission

Let me just preface this by saying that this is my third Chevrolet and I am not a happy car owner right about now. I traded a 2006 Chevrolet HHR for a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse back in December of 2012. Since that time the timing chain (i think that is the correct verbiage) and the transmission have been replaced which I consider are MAJOR repairs. The first was covered under my warranty and the second was not. The vehicle currently has 99,909 miles on it but is only 5 years old. While I realize that cars don't last forever I didn't anticipate that I would be replacing the transmission just a year and a half after I purchased it.

In any event, the repairs to the transmission were going to be in the neighborhood of $3900 and GM offered to cover half of the cost. Is this practice customary or is there something else going on with the Traverse? I have read other reports that indicate that the 09 was not a particulary good year. Any information that you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old July 29th, 2014, 7:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

since your way out of warranty; sounds like gm or your dealer goodwilled half the cost of the repair. There is a goodwill tree that is used to determine criteria for goodwill coverage. They did not have to cover any part of this repair.
Old September 9th, 2014, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

I just found out today that I need to have my 2009 AWD Traverse LT needs a completely new tranny and water pump. I find this extremely disheartening and disappointing. $5000, after only 62,000 miles. I don't know what a wave plate is, but my trusted mechanic of over 10 years says there was a large piece of metal that came off the inside of the tranny, and broke the transmission sensor, and caused 'shrapnel-like damage' to the insides, with lots of broken pieces. WTH?

And, I had to replace the front right axle JUST LAST MONTH for over $1200!

I bought my Traverse used with 33K on 3/2012, and have been very, very happy with it, its been a great vehicle on two long road trips to Minnesota 2 years ago, and San Diego last summer. Suddenly, its falling apart and in the span of a month, I'm going to shell out $6200?

This can NOT be normal wear and tear after normal oil changes and excellent care by me. I love this vehicle, but if it falls apart like this so soon, I can't in good conscience feel confident in keeping this much longer.
Old September 10th, 2014, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Good news...

OK, I got some good news on all of this. I had asked my private mechanic to hold off on repairs, I know the whole this is taken apart... I called a dealer this morning, explained my disappointment re: the tranny, water pump and the front axle leak. I had taken my Traverse there on other occasaions for oil changes, so I was in their system, the guy looked it up and said No worries, its all under powertrain warranty, 100K or January 2015! He said to bring it in and he'll take care of me.

WOWOWOWOWOW. I will bring in all my paperwork for the paid front axle work, and for the labor in the current work and I may even get reimbursed for all of this!? This is amazing and I feel so much better, obviously.

I'm still skeptical, this seems too good to be true, so I won't believe it until, well, I won't have to pay for this. I'm going to have it towed from the mechanic to the dealer and we'll see what they say.

I have copies of all the recall notices I've gotten, but none of them refer to the water pump or wave plate issue. But they know this is an issue and i just hope and pray I really am covered.
Old September 11th, 2014, 8:47 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Keep us updated! and do let us know the name of your dealership, may be able to send them more business if others feel they are trustworthy
Old September 11th, 2014, 1:01 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello Mark 9:23,

We certainly recognize your frustration, but are happy to learn of your decision to have your local Chevrolet dealership work towards addressing this situation. If you require any additional assistance while working with the dealership please do not hesitate to reach out to us via private message. We're more than happy to help.

Best,
Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 13th, 2014, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

I had it towed from the private mechanic to Ed Bozarth Chevrolet at Park Meadows. He took copies of my receipts of the labor I had done on Monday to locate the problem of the shattered wave plate and broken water pump (about $1000) and they acted like they would reimburse me for that, and possibly the front right axle leak fix I had last month ($770). I'll believe it when I see it... I want to believe! They will have it ready for me to pick up on Tuesday, 9/14. I will have another report after I get the "bill".