Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

2012 Traverse-will not start-dead battery

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2015, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Traverse-will not start-dead battery

Bought my 2012 Traverse in Dec. 2012. Was very happy with the purchase. But that was before I started having trouble with dead batteries. It would turn over very strong, but would not start. A few hours after that and especially by the next day, the battery is drained dead. The first time I took it to the dealership. I was told nothing was wrong. That I had a bad battery. They charged the battery and I left and had no problem for the next four (4) months. Then it happened again. Took it back to the dealership, was told I had a bad battery with a dead cell. Bought a new battery from that dealership and had no problem for the next three (3) months. Then it happened yet again. That dealership then told me that I had water in the fuse box in back of the glove box due to a replaced windshield (that I did not have replaced) and that it was corroded. (Long story short), took it back to where I bought my Traverse and they sent me to a different Chevrolet dealership. Was told that I had a bad battery and that I needed to buy a new one. (Long story short), had the battery warranted out for a new one. Everything is fine for the next three months; then it happened again. Took it back to the first dealership, was told I had bad gas and that I needed to have them drop & drain my fuel and purchase their gas which I was told, is a "Better" grade of gas. Did not buy that reason/excuse. Was told that my traverse would not stay running (b/c of the bad gas) in order to do a diagnostic test. Called a tow truck to have my car towed to a neutral shop for a second opinion. When the tow truck arrived, he got his battery pack and started my traverse with no problem and it ran fine for nearly ten (10) minutes as we stood there and talked. Drove my Traverse to the neutral shop and was told could not fine anything wrong. Drove home, again it will not start. Now it sits at my residence with a dead battery. For whatever reason, un be knowing to me and apparently to Chevrolet "Trained" mechanics every three to four months my traverse will not start and then the battery is drained/killed like clock work. Any suggestions??

Last edited by cmetcalf2012trav; April 14th, 2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old December 1st, 2015, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm having the same problem with my 2012 traverse

I have had my traverse for 3 years now and just last month it wouldn't start then the next day the battery was dead. had it towed to a garage and they charged the battery and it started right up so 2 weeks later the battery died and I figured just buy a new one. worked fine for two weeks then the traverse wouldn't turn over so I let it sit in my drive way over night then tried to start it the next morning and the battery was completely dead. I was wondering if you ever found the problem? before I get the run around at a garage because they can't find the problem