Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Dead battery problem

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dead battery problem

I have a 2010 Traverse in Sept 0f 2010 car would not start called road side assistance to get a jump took to dealer and said could not find problem but neede to keep car locked when not in use to keep it from happening again. Last week in Feb 2011 same thing happened again took to dealer, one week later happened again. They gave me a loaner over the weekend and they still can not find the problem. I have the LS version with no nav or other accessories to drain battery. I was also asked if I had the Blackberry feature and I do not. I don't leave keys in ignition, I very seldom charge phone in the car and when I do I unplug the charger. I know the charger stays on with the key out so I unplug the charger. Does anyone have any ideas or is there a fix. I am going on a week long trip and the car will be parked for one week hope is starts when I ge back!!
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bulk of the vehicle electronics get the battery voltage always. They are supposed to go to a low power mode or sleep with key off, RAP off. Maybe something is refusing to shut itself down. A problem like that is hard to diagnose since the act of pulling a fuse may reset whatever was drawing the current. Ask them to try disconnecting power to the OnStar VCIM (not something indispensable)?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

I will keep this in mind a week from now if it does it again after a week of setting idle.
Old March 24th, 2011, 2:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

gunrackguy, has this issue been resolved for you yet?

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old December 14th, 2013, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

We have a 2010 Traverse with around 65000 miles and the battery was dead on ours this morning.
My husband had noticed on a few different occasions that the alternator gauge was fluctuating a lot.
There also had been a couple of times when the car did not start right up like normal.
Has there been a known fix for this battery issue?
Old December 14th, 2013, 4:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you had a dead battery, have the battery tested. if it passes, have the charging system output checked. If that is good, get a parasitic draw test done.
Old December 15th, 2013, 4:28 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Deb Taylor
We have a 2010 Traverse with around 65000 miles and the battery was dead on ours this morning.
My husband had noticed on a few different occasions that the alternator gauge was fluctuating a lot.
There also had been a couple of times when the car did not start right up like normal.
Has there been a known fix for this battery issue?
Hi Deb Taylor,

We understand your frustration with your battery losing its charge, and we apologize that this issue hasn't been corrected for you yet. If you're thinking of going to the dealership to have your battery tested, please let us know, as we'd like to help look more into this issue for you. If you'd like any assistance with this matter, please PM us your VIN, contact info and dealership.

Thanks,

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 16th, 2013, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default battery change

About a year ago after three different dealers and a call to GM my local dealer decided to change the battery and I have not had a problem since. He did all of he checks and could not find a problem, but decided to change the battery, now everything works great. I also had the vibration that would come and go and it was due to my rear breaks not releasing. He change my breaks pads and disks and everything is OK now (45,000 miles). I own a Toyota Prius with 150,000 miles with the same original breaks. I guess Toyota really knows how to make breaks. The caliper on the Chevy was rusted and that is what was causing the problem, maybe GM should look into making more clearance on the calipers.
Old December 18th, 2013, 6:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Your Toyota probably had drum brakes in the rear which have a much longer life that disc systems. If the prius is the hybrid then it would have regenerative braking systems which can last the life of the car as the service brakes are only used during hard/emergency stops. Completely different systems...apples and oranges.

brakes- device used to stop cars

breaks- something broken. to take a rest

Last edited by tech2; December 18th, 2013 at 7:03 AM.
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Yes the Prius is a hybrid and it may be apples to oranges, but it is the material that the breaks are made from that makes the difference.

Quick Reply: Dead battery problem