Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Dealership refuses to diagnose control module codes

Old November 29th, 2016, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership refuses to diagnose control module codes

Hoping someone here might be able to help shed some light on a potential issue. I bought a certified traverse back in April and the vehicle has been back to the shop for servicing about a dozen times since, mostly with electronic-related issues, but the dealership insists there is no underlying problem. I recently had the OBD port scanned and, lo and behold, three control module codes came up: $7EB, $7EA and $7E8. The dealership insists that this is perfectly normal and is refusing to diagnose it even though my car is still covered under the one-year bumper to bumper warranty. They say its not a problem unless the check engine light comes on. Does this sound legit?
Old November 29th, 2016, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Those codes don't come in a code index. Must be from a generic scanner but shaking my head how they even come up. I see them on the net in a search. But nowhere in any service publication. I guess there's a chance I'm missing something but I highly doubt it.

What warranty do you have. Is it a company like MPP ect? It should say on the paperwork you got with the vehicle. Mine did when I purchased a 2012 Traverse from a local big dealer. The salesman said I had to take it there if it needed any work but the paperwork said any shop if certified. I got a 6 month plan. If so you can take it to any ASE certified shop for the work.

All that said, you didn't say if you are having any issue with it. You can always take it to another shop and pay for a complete vehicle scan. A factory or Snapon scanner can do that. You will get Pxxxx(powertrain), Bxxxx(body), Cxxxx(chassis) codes. Having those is a great start and will be helpful.
Old November 29th, 2016, 8:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

have someone with a real scan tool scan the vehicle. What ever your using cannot convert the raw data out of hexidecimal format. I have seen these crappy scan tools create false dtc due to incompatibility or vehicle mismatches.
Old November 30th, 2016, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies. I'm using a mid-level Autel scanner which has helped me successfully diagnose cat issues, the evap system, 02 sensors, etc. It wasn't one of the cheap ones, but prob not as high-end as the ones a mechanic would use. Your advice is good, clearly I need to have the vehicle scanned at a shop. I had hoped the dealership would do this for me, but since the check engine light is not lit up they refused.
Old November 30th, 2016, 8:29 PM
Super Moderator

they handled it appropriately.

when something is under warranty and you tell a customer there is no fault; they get pissy....the same concern, when its customer pay...they are happy. weird dynamic.

Last edited by tech2; November 30th, 2016 at 8:33 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Makes sense, when you have a warranty and your not sure about something, you want it to get fixed. If you've got to shell out cash, you're hoping it don't need to be done. I really don't know if anything is wrong with my vehicle. A 20 second scan (while they were already servicing my vehicle overnight for a different issue) would have cleared it up one way or another. Now I have to go to another shop knowing that, if something is wrong, I'm going back to the dealership instead of fixing it at the shop that checked my vehicle. Many shops do that for free as a courtesy, but its expectation is that they will be servicing the vehicle if something is wrong. I'd prefer not to have deceive an independent repair shop in this fashion. I understand their position, but when the dealership refuses to even look at your issue, it makes you wonder why you paid twice as much for a certified vehicle versus buying through a private sale.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 8:04 PM
Super Moderator

if you have a concern make an appointment and book it in for service.

The dealership will not pull a flat rate tech off a booked appointment, for a waiting customer, for your convenience. You have no symptoms or drive-ability issues other than what you have created by plugging in crap diagnostic software...Book your appointment....wait your turn.

Its not a 20 second scan. new gm vehicles require laptop based wireless connections to internet. the vehicle would have to be driven into the shop to access gd2 server.
Old March 29th, 2018, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $7e8

$7E8 is the engine menu... Those aren't code... they are menu options... once you select the option it will take you to another window that gived you the read out for that specific part of the car... hope this helps...
The following users liked this post:
John Cossey (November 23rd, 2019)
Old July 4th, 2018, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default Control module showing on scanner's

I can't say for sure if this happens every time on every vehicle but when I have control modules come up on my scanner it is realted directly to a ongoing issue whitch I can always find by searching and scanning all vehicles modes for example yesterday got module $7ab or something like that I searched through the codes after I seen the modules pull up there were actually 3 modules. I had thrown a code p0010 cam position sensor, and 2 other p0010 low and high cam voltage. So these moduels were popping up because of these codes. Now on my other scanner's moduels do not pop up like this just coses I wouldn't immediately blame the dealer on the modules just because I have found this is how they pop up . Although question the dealers always all gm dealer Ed bozarth n topeka ks has done is lied to me and they told me the same thing " it's normal it's operating properly" although on my vehilve that wasn't the case 700miles burning a quart of oil aint normal gm stop lying to your customer. They also refuse to fix as well and I had manafature warrentt and purchase extended warranty still told me know I would have to pay half out of pocket with was almost 4000. So just because I'm saying with these modeuls they may not be lying still ask them why they are comming up because every time I have a module come it is because of a thrown code. If you are slightly familiy with obd ask them to let you watch them run it even if you have no idea how to read these you can still see that the screen says x amount of codes and what areas of the vehicle they came from. Hope this helps someone in the future if your luck as same as mine it will cause gm still lying to me every time I take it in. (They don't know I am a mechanic) so even if you YouTube some videos sharpin up your knowledge on the subject then go speak to them you'll understand more what they are saying and if it's true. Sidenote my service perfossional talked out his *** if your having issues with them listing to what your saysing for wrong with your vehicle ask to speak with the mechanic working on your car. (Since I'm a mechanic) I told them the tenaioy pulley was bent the first 2 times I went in they said nope ure wrong it's fine have a nice day we have checked everything your good to go. 3rd time I became wise enough to ask for there best mechanic and I would like to speak with him first and would like him to look at the vehicle a very nice middle aged guy came out an I told him the issue 15mins later he came back and toldy service professional photographer pulley was bent and needed replaced . Haha man they would got me again if I wouldn't have ask there mechanic are great it's not them who are screwing you most of the time. It's the dealer making them say and do things most the mechanic just need a paycheck a d have to listen or be fired.
Old March 10th, 2019, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default check engine light

Originally Posted by tech2
have someone with a real scan tool scan the vehicle. What ever your using cannot convert the raw data out of hexidecimal format. I have seen these crappy scan tools create false dtc due to incompatibility or vehicle mismatches.
my scanner gave me those codes but today my check engine light went out on it’s own

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealership refuses to diagnose control module codes