Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

tow package details

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2009, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tow package details

Can someone tell me specifically what is included with the V92 Towing Package option? I recently bought a 2009 Traverse WITHOUT this option because the dealer assured me that all it was was the hitch and wiring harness, which I had done aftermarket. Now, in reading the manual, it states that WITHOUT the V92 option, the towing capacity is only 2000 lbs, rather than the 5200 I thought I was buying. The manual also mentions a "tow/haul" button on the instrument panel that I do not have, but I can't see if that comes with V92.

When I went back to the dealership, the head mechanic assured me that the cooling systems were the same and that I was ok.

Can someone help clarify?
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
CF Active Member

I cant speak for the traverse but most other vechiles the difference between the 2 are.....
-tranny cooler
-tow haul button which changes the shifting pattern for towing
-hitch
-harness
-some depending on car or truck- suspension
-some also put different tires on something that can handle more load.

Personally I think the dealer screwed you into buying something they wanted to get rid of instead of what you needed.
Old July 6th, 2009, 3:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the V92 towing option includes....

V08- heavy duty engine cooler
VR2- Tow hitch
QD6- Steel Spare tire

so yeah- the mechanic and salesman are full of it...
My understanding is that the heavy duty engine cooler is a larger radiator.
Normal traverses dont come with a spare tire--- they come with that Air in a can--- that inflates and patches up a tire...
when the tow option is ordered the vehicle has a steel spare tire included.
Obviously- if the radiator is now heavy duty-- then it means the transmission cooling is also going to be better since the cooling is also done thru the radiator.

Like you found out- you can add an aftermarket hitch--- but you wont be able to tow the maximum.

Ive seen multiple post from buyers who are told info like you are...
only to find that they cant tow as much.

On other post- it was mentioned that it is not cost effective (or easy) to do the upgrade aftermarket (radiator, hitch, etc).
I mean you can add a hitch- (bike racks etc)... but it wont tow the max.
Dealers are not to attempt the upgrade.

As many have said- the $500 option is very much worth it.
Old July 6th, 2009, 3:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The heavy duty engine cooler I think comes with a higher CFM fan only. Not sure.
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbarrios
the V92 towing option includes....

V08- heavy duty engine cooler
VR2- Tow hitch
QD6- Steel Spare tire

so yeah- the mechanic and salesman are full of it...
My understanding is that the heavy duty engine cooler is a larger radiator.
Normal traverses dont come with a spare tire--- they come with that Air in a can--- that inflates and patches up a tire...
when the tow option is ordered the vehicle has a steel spare tire included.
Obviously- if the radiator is now heavy duty-- then it means the transmission cooling is also going to be better since the cooling is also done thru the radiator.

Like you found out- you can add an aftermarket hitch--- but you wont be able to tow the maximum.

Ive seen multiple post from buyers who are told info like you are...
only to find that they cant tow as much.

On other post- it was mentioned that it is not cost effective (or easy) to do the upgrade aftermarket (radiator, hitch, etc).
I mean you can add a hitch- (bike racks etc)... but it wont tow the max.
Dealers are not to attempt the upgrade.

As many have said- the $500 option is very much worth it.
I have not read or heard anything that states a dealer is not to attempt this upgrade. Personally, I believe we must find factual information stating EXACTLY what the V92 package is.

Bob
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not sure if danthechevyman is on this forum-
But I believe he is the one that asked the GM reps/engineers/tech (when they came to do a presentation on the Traverse) whether the dealer could do this install on a vehicle not ordered with the tow package...
he was told no- cant be done. ( I dont remember if it was because it was not cost effective- or because it would be too difficult)...
Old May 2nd, 2012, 1:23 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
The heavy duty engine cooler I think comes with a higher CFM fan only. Not sure.
only difernce is a lower set point on the temp of water/transmission but only when the tow / haul switch is on dose the change in temp tack place.

Originally Posted by rbarrios
Im not sure if danthechevyman is on this forum-
But I believe he is the one that asked the GM reps/engineers/tech (when they came to do a presentation on the Traverse) whether the dealer could do this install on a vehicle not ordered with the tow package...
he was told no- cant be done. ( I don't remember if it was because it was not cost effective- or because it would be too difficult)...
if its a option for a model that means all the wiring is there. but the high cost parts are not like the tow/haul button, the hitch it self and so on. the cost of adding the hitch from a dealers point of view is not cost effective. when you can get a hitch for $150 and installed for $100. it would cost the dealer 3 hours at $95 to $120 an hour labor then the parts to be installed would cost them. then Thay would have to warranty the part, there work and admit its not a problem and the car can handle it. all are reasons they don't do it at the dealers.
Old June 24th, 2013, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default Towing option traverse

Larger Radiator, hitch with all wiring including tow haul switch under climate controls and different fuse box under hood to support said wiring. Suspension and braking do not change. Much more expensive to add at dealership and not as much capacity when doing so. If going to attempt to excede the 2000 lb rating defiantly TRY to add trans cooler and be aware with tow/haul mode trans is programmed to shift according to load.
Old July 5th, 2013, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default Towing Package

We have a 2011 Chev Traverse LS with no V92 but does have a spare tire. We have had it for over a year and love it but want to start camping again. Need to know if I can upgrade with the bigger tran. to be able to pull up to 5000 lbs.
Old July 6th, 2013, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default traverse towing upgrade

Brandi.....Not a bigger transmission, bigger radiator. Although that will help immensely you do not have the option of adding tow/haul capabilities which improve shift points for towing. Keeping the transmission cool is your best option.

Quick Reply: tow package details