Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

07 Uplander overheating issue

Old August 28th, 2016, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Uplander overheating issue

My wife has an 07 Uplander which has recently started overheating more frequently. First time we noticed it, I refilled coolant and checked for leaks and found nothing. After about a month, it did it again. I got a little suspicious, figuring the first time it happened just because it hadn't been serviced in a while. I filled it up again, about a liter and a half, and ran it for a while. Never overheated, never gave me any trouble. A week later it happened again and she couldn't get it to cool down at all. Refilled fluid and everything, had no change whatsoever. That was a week and a half ago. Yesterday it overheated while driving with a/c on and there was terrible squealing coming from belt/pulley area. After topping fluid off, over a gallon this time, I checked for leaks again. I found water/coolant coming from the passenger side of the radiator at what looks like a hose connection, but I know it's not. I don't know what it is called, but I know nothing connects there. The squealing I've managed to isolate to being the compressor. Ran it today, over 25 miles, with a/c off and never had any issue. Turned a/c on, and within 5 minutes it overheated and started squealing. Obviously my radiator needs replaced, or at the very least stop leak added to it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered problems like this before and what their discoveries were. I'm curious as to what could have caused the radiator to crack and how it and the a/c system are related so closely. I do have basic knowledge and understanding of mech work, but I'm trying to comprehend more and learn more about it so I can keep myself out of expensive shops. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me. God bless.
Old August 29th, 2016, 1:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

When you use the A/C it puts more of a load on the engine which creates more heat. That is why it overheats more often with the A/C on. You could have cracked the radiator while adding coolant to a very hot radiator. Consider yourself lucky if all you have is a bad radiator. You mwill still need to deal with the compressor.
Old August 29th, 2016, 9:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

post some pics

Search this Thread