Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

09 Uplander Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2016, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Uplander Rear Brakes

Hi I am working on fixing an 09 uplander i got from the wrecker.

I need to change the rear brake pads. How do I release the emergency brake to install new pads.

or how do i purchase a repair manual for this vehicle. I cannot find one anywhere and haynes does not list this year of vehicle on their website.
Old April 11th, 2016, 8:49 PM
CF Active Member

Haven't driven enough miles in a couple decades to require doing rear drum brakes on any vehicle so I can't answer that question, but...

I'm guessing you are in Canada? In the USA they stopped selling Uplanders as '08 models but production didn't finish until September or October so they had a couple months of '09 models that they exported. Since Chilton's/Haynes is making manuals for cars sold in the USA it ends at 2008 but it will covers yours. As an alternative you may want to check e-Bay for the factory manuals.
Old April 11th, 2016, 9:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe you will have to turn the pistons in - if they aren't seized.

I replaced the rear calipers on my 07 not long ago as the pistons would not turn back in.
Old April 11th, 2016, 11:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help I'm gonna try spinning the pistons.

and yes I am living in canada I had no idea that there might not be an 09 model. I still can't seem to find a manual for the 08's but this tip might help a little bit.

I can find an 06 manual on ebay though.
Old April 12th, 2016, 6:40 PM
CF Active Member

Unless someone corrects me before that auction ends I'd ****** it up...I believe the only changes in the Uplander during it's short run (2005-2008) was the option of a bigger engine in 2006 and I think it was FlexFuel. Although I'm hearing talk about rear disc brakes and I thought they were drums so I could be wrong here.

Edit: I came back to read tech2's post below this and I glanced at my post...THAT SERIOUSLY GOT CENSORED! What's a 6 letter word for grab that begins with sna and ends with tch?

Last edited by U.Nanimous; April 12th, 2016 at 11:48 PM. Reason: How did I get censored?
Old April 12th, 2016, 9:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the e-brake mechanism is integral to the rear caliper. the piston must be rotated back. if you cannot rotate it back; its seized and the caliper must be replaced.

napa sells an otc brake piston tool kit that works well. napa part# ser 41540
https://www.otctools.com/products/di...liper-tool-kit

Last edited by tech2; April 12th, 2016 at 9:43 PM.