Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

2005 uplander dvd system

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2008, 11:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 uplander dvd system

We bought a used 2005 uplander and it actually had the remote and wireless headsets in the original packaging (bonus for us) however the dvd system won't play over the main speakers! we read the manual over and over and tried everything we could think of and nothing has worked. Please help! Thnx in advance!
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2005 uplander dvd system

We bought a used 2007 this summer. I tried and tried using the instructions in the manual to get sound from DVD from the speakers (headphones work fine) asked salesman and he said its illegal to listen to DVD over radio speakers so there is no way to send sound to them. If anyone knows how to do this I would like to know too.
Old September 5th, 2008, 9:04 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 2005 uplander dvd system

HAHA.....the only thing illegal about video systems, is that the driver cannot watch it while driving. You can listen to whatever you want to while you drive....including the dvd player.
Turn the dvd player on, put in a dvd in and hit (I THINK) band, or cd...forget what button it is.
If it doesn't work, then either the radio is not setup properly, or there is another problem in the vehicle. Either way the audio SHOULD come through the speakers and it is not illegal
Old March 5th, 2015, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Late is better than never...

So I'm a little late to the party, but I had this same problem, and I figured out the answer. In my 05 Uplander, the button to push is called CD/AUX, and it's located on the main radio up front. Pressing it should play the DVD audio through the speakers...and no, it's not illegal. Attempting to watch the DVD player as the driver is though.
Old March 13th, 2015, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default dvd player wont take dvds

i just got a 05 uplander a little over a month ago i have tried to put a dvd in the dvd player over head and it seems like there is a dvd stuck in there but when i hit eject nothing comes out and it displays no disk ... then sometimes while driving it just starts making a noise like its running and trying to eject any help would be great please
Old March 24th, 2015, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by my2divas
i just got a 05 uplander a little over a month ago i have tried to put a dvd in the dvd player over head and it seems like there is a dvd stuck in there but when i hit eject nothing comes out and it displays no disk ... then sometimes while driving it just starts making a noise like its running and trying to eject any help would be great please
I had a similar problem when I purchased my 05 Uplander used about 3 weeks ago. I tried to insert a DVD and it wouldn't take it. I pressed eject, but it said NO DISC. So I got brave and tried (a little more forcefully) to insert my DVD again. It didn't go in easily, but it did go in. I pressed eject to get it back out, and... NO DISC. I started sweating bullets for fear I had broken it.

A couple days later, I found some links online about how to take the DVD player down and take it apart. It was actually pretty easy once I found the right tools. (You need a very long Phillips head screwdriver) I took everything apart down to the disc drive and found that a panel in the DVD player (where the disc goes in) was bent. I bent it back into place and put everything back together. I literally prayed it would be THAT easy and that it would be fixed. I re-installed the DVD player, and VIOLA! It has worked perfectly ever since.

I don't know if your DVD player has this same issue, but the point of my story is it's not that difficult to take it apart and have a look. I took the DVD player down, took it apart, reassembled it, and re-installed it in about an hour total.
Old May 17th, 2020, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jbonsall
We bought a used 2005 uplander and it actually had the remote and wireless headsets in the original packaging (bonus for us) however the dvd system won't play over the main speakers! we read the manual over and over and tried everything we could think of and nothing has worked. Please help! Thnx in advance!
I have the exact same problem with a virtually identical 2005 Pontiac Montana. Did you ever find a solution?
Old May 18th, 2020, 6:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the very first thing to asses is that you need to specify exactly what kind of DVD you
are trying to play in the roof mounted unit
And as it says above if it's a playable/accepted DVD , the way to enable it is by pushing the
button on the radio up front marked CD/AUX

By pushing that button you are telling the radio up front to start up the DVD player mounted above and shut off the CD player/radio up front

A storebought DVD or CD is a foolproff disc to start with in the upper DVD player as a test to check if the unit works and to see if the sound comes through the system

Home made music DVDs and CDs burned on a PC will also play fine in the upper DVD player but the songs have to be burned in the MP3s or WAV format
Since a DVD will hold more music then a CD I can usually get over 700 songs onto a DVD disc converting the MP3s from FLACS at the highest bit rate my converting program will do 320Kbps

You can use DVD+ or DVD- and also rewritable DVDs as well as rewritable CDs

Quality compromise in the music is irrelevant given the basic sound system in the van , that many songs on 1 disc is O.K. for long drives
The titles , artist name , album name will show up on the radio up front as the songs play on the DVD , the songs can be advanced as well from the radio up front and it's quite possible that with the remote you can skip a bunch of songs at the time

You can burn the songs in folders by genre or decade , you can number the songs so they will play in the order you prefer
The unit will decipher in alpha-numerical mode
If you don't use folders you can put a genre word in front of each song to group all songs from a genre together , the individual artists will then automatically be organized by name which makes it easy to find an artist on the disc
The screen on the DVD player will also show all the info as the songs play through , the remote can also be used to navigate through the disc
The remote and headphones will keep teenagers and kids quite busy on long trips

We use the CD player up front with a few hundred favs on a CD disc during short drives , and one DVD in the upper unit for longer drives
The Upper DVD player also has an audio video input , you can easily connect a cable from a phone or MP3 player to stream the music while sitting in the back of the van
You can do the same on the radio up front since it also has a mini jack input , you can buy a cheap unobtrusive $15 Bluetooth adapter with a built in mini jack and leave it plugged in up front avoiding cables ....while living with the crappish audio compromise

When I get around to it I will try a few home made Video DVDs to see what formats the DVD player will play back I will also take a look to see if it's possible to move the light behind the DVD player further back since IMO it's too close to the DVD player

The extended Uplanders will convert easily by removing the seats and will sleep 2 comfortably while still carrying a pile of crap
IMHO the sound system and DVD player is basically gravy since it was already installed and I won't need to upgrade as I've done in most of my rust buckets

Cheers ...... Vinny

Last edited by vinman; May 18th, 2020 at 6:47 AM.