Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

2006 Uplander DVD

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2010, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Uplander DVD

I've lost the audio on the ceiling console DVD player, everything else is fine but no DVD audio from speakers, wireless headphones, or plug-in headphones. AUX audio is fine. Loss of audio coincides with leaving the side door open through a rainy night, but the ceiling unit did not get wet. Any ideas?
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Did you ever get a fix for this problem,,,, what happened?
Old October 25th, 2010, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default Not yet

Nope, no fix yet. Do you have any ideas??? I'm to the point of deciding whether to pay through the nose to let the dealership have a shot at it or to just roll the dice on an ebay replacement.
Old October 25th, 2010, 4:35 PM
CF Junior Member

I am not an expert, but my DVD player in my 2005 has worked without any problems for many hours. The only thing I have to do once in awhile is treat it like a computer and "boot" it by turning off the ignition [stopping electrical power to the unit for a short period of time]. This resets the player and it will work fine. This should happen each time that you start or stop the van engine.

I assume from the description of your problem that the video/picture portion of the DVD player is still working and responds to the button commands on the player, such as play, stop, eject?
If you are getting the DVD player to turn on and play a DVD, have you checked the CD/AUX button on the dash of the front radio to see if you get sound from the DVD player through the van speaker system?
What device were you using to check the integrity of the AUX sound on the sound system? Was it a camcorder?

It is possible with the right settings, and I have done it; persons in the front seat can listen to a radio station on the radio, two persons in the the rear seats with head sets switched to different audio channels [A&B] can listen to a CD from the front radio and watch/listen to the DVD player. You have to activate the RSA and Source button on the player to help make this happen. Don't use the remote control to make the adjustments, instead use the buttons on the player.

If you are interested and you think it might be a setting that is out place, can I email you direct to talk further? It would be nice to get your problem figured out.
Old October 26th, 2010, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your interest in helping. I have plugged video game units and an external DVD into the AUX ports and the audio and video both come through like they're supposed to. I have tried all of the different settings on the unit with no luck, I can simply not get audio out of a DVD playing in the unit. I can split sources and get radio/CD sounds to the headphones using the RSA system. It seems to me that somehow the DVD pickup is not reading or translating the audio portion of the disk correctly??? I have gone as far as disconnecting the battery and pulling fuses in attempts to "reboot", no luck. I've also run a cleaning disk through the unit.

I'm wondering if moisture/humidity from leaving the driver side rear door open during a hot, rainy South Carolina night has somehow affected the player itself? It seems like too much of a coincidence that this trouble started directly after that.

We can trade email addresses if that makes sense, but it might be best to work through the forum so that others can add to or use the information also.
Old October 26th, 2010, 5:04 PM
CF Junior Member

It sounds like you are tech savvy and understand the functionality of your DVD player.

I wonder if there is anyway of "flashing" the memory of the player. It would be important to know just who exactly makes the DVD player for GM. I am wondering about 2005/2006 technology in electronic, if it would allow such flashing of memory.

Looking at your profile Shawnb, it appears that you maybe talking about the 2006 Pontiac Montana Van that is in your stable that has the mentioned problem. It is the same as an Uplander in most everyway.

I will talk to you further on this.
Old October 27th, 2010, 6:36 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, the vehicle is a 2006 Montana. Pontiac doesn't have a forum like this I could find, but I figured the Uplander, Montana, Terraza, and Relay are all pretty much the same, and I am a Chevy guy in general. I have a 2000 Z71 as well, and have had many bowtie pick-ups and Monte Carlo's over the years.

I'm Tech savvy enough to be dnagerous, I do better with mechanical issues than with electronics. Next step is removing the player to see what I can see with it out. Looking for bad connections, corrosion, etc. I'll look for the Mfg info while I have it out.
Old November 6th, 2010, 6:00 PM
CF Junior Member

@shawnb, Any further update on what you have found or decided about your DVD player in your van?
Old November 9th, 2010, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Pulled out the unit, nothing looks obviously wrong. No loose/corroded connections, etc. I'm going to blow it down with some canned air while it's out, then put it back in for one last try. I'll probably have the dealership take a look at it, as I'm also having a few minor issues elsewhere on the vehicle (auto doors, AWD noise)
Old December 2nd, 2010, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Paid the BS "diagnostic" fee at the shop to verify my suspicion that the DVD unit had internal failure. They wanted a few grand to replace it. Bought an ebay unit from ELKO for about $150, installed last night in 5 minutes and I'm back in business.

Quick Reply: 2006 Uplander DVD