Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

2008 Uplander Heat Problem?

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2013, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2009 uplander

Originally Posted by Addison
Hello!

We are on our SECOND 2008 Uplander, and both have had the same exact problem.

While idling, the heater will not blow heat. Once you touch the accelerator and rev the engine, heat will flow... upon releasing the accelerator, the air will slowly cool after about 30 seconds, and after about a minute, it will blow continuous cold air until you hit the accelerator again.

The problem seems to be intermittent.

The thermostat has been changed, the coolant has been flushed and all air has been removed from the lines, the water pump has been changed and nothing has fixed the problem. The dealership identified the problem and agrees that it is an issue, and says that all fixes provided by the manufacturer have not worked, so they gave us an entirely different vehicle with LESS mileage, and it worked ok for about a week... it now has the SAME exact problem.

After doing some research online, I have found several other people with the same issue... has anyone found a fix for this? Does anyone here have a similar problem?

We do NOT want to go through the hassle of having to get into another vehicle, and would prefer it if the problem would just be fixed. We live in North Dakota and have a baby, so you can understand that not having any heat in our vehicle is a very important issue to us... especially in -20° to -40° degree weather.

If anyone can help or offer any additional information on this, I would greatly appreciate it!

hi
I purchased mine new. 1 year later same problem occurred. dealer did everything possible to tipping van on its side and bleeding the system. nothing works. this is a lemon!!!
GM rep came to Bretts Chevrolet in Saint John , nb. Did nothing. acknowledged the problem and says engineering believes it is a design flaw, heater core sits too high within the body molding and continuous air lock. I am grieving with GM to place me in a different type of vehicle. the Manager at Bretts, says what do I tell my client, to place a brick on the accelerator?
anyone else out there please email me with this problem
stpiean@hotmail.com
they are a lemon van and no fix can be done per GM advises me. so I paid 30,000 $ and should just go on my merely way??? If I slide into a ditch in our Northern climate me and my children will freeze to death. Don't they understand the safety in this problem.
Old November 21st, 2013, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Red face 2009 uplander

I have the same problem for over 3 years. It is so upsetting. The dealer where I purchased this van new, now takes the car for 2 days and does nothing. Says, it is an uplander, you wont have heat in the Cabin.

I have escalated now for 2nd time to GM. GM rep for my dealer says it is a flaw of the van. HCore sits to high in the molding. and now it is obsolete.
The rep acknowldedge the problem, but will do nothing for me.

my email is
stpiean@hotmail.com

all with the same issue of no heat on idle , please email me with the year of your vehicle and how long you have had this problem and any fixes?
thanks
Old November 21st, 2013, 1:05 PM
CF Junior Member

i had the same problem, second winter with the van in 2010. thankfully it was under warranty.
and after 4 days at a dealership they said it was the heater lines, the hoses that run the coolant to the heater core are too long to begin with, came off there mounting and became kinked.

this problem stumped 3 techs there until one tech have seen this problem before.

i can just imagine how much this warranty job was billed to GM.

whatever it was it wasnt enough. shame on GM for continuing to make crap cars.
Old November 21st, 2013, 5:38 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by stpiean
I have the same problem for over 3 years. It is so upsetting. The dealer where I purchased this van new, now takes the car for 2 days and does nothing. Says, it is an uplander, you wont have heat in the Cabin.

I have escalated now for 2nd time to GM. GM rep for my dealer says it is a flaw of the van. HCore sits to high in the molding. and now it is obsolete.
The rep acknowldedge the problem, but will do nothing for me.

my email is
stpiean@hotmail.com

all with the same issue of no heat on idle , please email me with the year of your vehicle and how long you have had this problem and any fixes?
thanks
Hi stipean,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with this issue. If you'd like for us to investigate further into your case to see what additional options are available to you, please message us your name, VIN, contact information and/or case number.

Thank you,

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 21st, 2013, 5:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Dont bother. noone at G.M gives a damm. To G.M we are useless as we already bought there crap products. they dont stand behind anything they make.

They make crap cars and always will.

Im looking for a new car next month, and I can assure it will not be a G.M.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 6:53 AM
CF Active Member

I have my 2009 uplander for almost 5 years now and never experienced heating problems so far. We lives ln Ontario Canada and we can see very cold temperatures in winter. I do not plan to replace my van for a while because to tell you it is a good van after all considering the frequencies of repairs this vehicle went through in 5 years and close to 50,000 miles on the odometer. When it will start to break down I will get rid of it quickly and will buy a Chevy Traverse. Why I stay with GM you can ask. Because my GM dealer is walking distance where I live and it is the only car dealer that we have around an hour drive. This alone means a lots and also the service is A1 at this garage. I think the van went for repairs 4 times at the most for only minors items. I do all my service myself ( oil changes, brakes, tires ) . The van is still on warranty until march 2014.

Last edited by capucine; November 23rd, 2013 at 7:05 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 9:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by capucine
I have my 2009 uplander for almost 5 years now and never experienced heating problems so far. We lives ln Ontario Canada and we can see very cold temperatures in winter. I do not plan to replace my van for a while because to tell you it is a good van after all considering the frequencies of repairs this vehicle went through in 5 years and close to 50,000 miles on the odometer. When it will start to break down I will get rid of it quickly and will buy a Chevy Traverse. Why I stay with GM you can ask. Because my GM dealer is walking distance where I live and it is the only car dealer that we have around an hour drive. This alone means a lots and also the service is A1 at this garage. I think the van went for repairs 4 times at the most for only minors items. I do all my service myself ( oil changes, brakes, tires ) . The van is still on warranty until march 2014.
your lucky.

my 2008 extended uplander had heating problems the second winter.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default same problem

We live in Ontario, Canada and have the same issue as the rest of you. Our van is almost 5 yrs old and within the last month, we noticed that we are not getting any heat when at an idle. While driving, everything is fine. As soon as you stop for a stop sign, it blasts straight cold air. We took it to our local dealer and they claimed that 'air in the lines' is the problem. They bled some air off and said it was fixed! On the way home from picking it up, same thing happened. Taking it back to them but it cost over $100 to try this, what is it going to be next?? Now thay tell us that the stability system is done, $600 + labour, to fix that! We have had so many issues with this van and GM has consistently not claimed any responsibility. It is sad how they treat their loyal customers! Every vehicle I have bought in the last 27 yrs has been from a GM dealer but all that matters is 'the next one!!'
Starting to look elsewhere!
Old December 2nd, 2013, 5:40 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OntMic
We live in Ontario, Canada and have the same issue as the rest of you. Our van is almost 5 yrs old and within the last month, we noticed that we are not getting any heat when at an idle. While driving, everything is fine. As soon as you stop for a stop sign, it blasts straight cold air. We took it to our local dealer and they claimed that 'air in the lines' is the problem. They bled some air off and said it was fixed! On the way home from picking it up, same thing happened. Taking it back to them but it cost over $100 to try this, what is it going to be next?? Now thay tell us that the stability system is done, $600 + labour, to fix that! We have had so many issues with this van and GM has consistently not claimed any responsibility. It is sad how they treat their loyal customers! Every vehicle I have bought in the last 27 yrs has been from a GM dealer but all that matters is 'the next one!!'
Starting to look elsewhere!
Hi OntMic,

So sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the heat in your van. We recognize your frustration with this matter, and apologize that this experience has led you to consider other vehicle brands for your next purchase. If you'd like for us to forward your information to our international team for additional assistance, we'd be happy to do so. If this interests you, please message us your full name, VIN, mileage, contact information and the name of your dealership.

Thanks,

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 7th, 2014, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 Chevy Uplander heating problems

I also have similar if not identical heating problems in my 2008 Chevy Uplander. My van has spent more of the past month at the dealer getting repaired than at home. I have children and we live in MN so heat is a necessity. I have had the heater core flushed which slightly improved the heat. By slightly I mean it isn't as cold as the temp outside the vehicle. Then they burped air out of the cooling system a few times. The air got in the system originally when they replaced the thermostat. They replaced the thermostat a couple of times after that. The van has spent several overnights tilted on the hoist to try and get any further air out. The GM dealer said he spoke to GM and they said the problem was remedied and if I wanted more heat I could opt to put in a pump that costs about $900 not including labor and it may or may not improve the heat. I was told it was an accessory and not covered under the extended warranty I purchased when I purchased the vehicle. I am very frustrated. The van will heat good only after letting it idle for a long time and then travel at highway speeds for a fair distance. I am a mom who transports my kids to school, etc. When I stop at a stop light the temp drops. I was told that this is normal. I find that hard to believe because my husbands 1991 Buick does not do this and neither does any of the loaner cars I have gotten while they have been working on my van. Tomorrow I go pick up my van again . They told me on the phone it is heating properly even though they did nothing since I dropped it off. They said they put a thermometer in the heat vent in the dash and it heated up to 150 degrees. He said he let it warm up 15 minutes and drove it at about 45 MPH. I am so fed up. I shouldn't have to drive 45 MPH to get heat. I have lost all faith in GM and this van. I thought when I purchased this vehicle I would be driving it for years to come, but I am starting to think I am going to have to get rid of it and it only has 73,000 miles on it and it is still under extended warranty. I certainly won't be going back to GM if this is how they stand behind their product.

Last edited by lboyum; January 7th, 2014 at 8:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Uplander Heat Problem?