Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Electrical "problems" with 2008 Chevy Uplander LS extended van

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2014, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kwest
So has anybody found any answers or solutions to what's going on with these vans? I have to go to Boston in another month and a half and I can't have this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
See my post above. My problem was with a loose nut on a bolt on the alternator that attaches a cable to the starter.
The following users liked this post:
David Neufeld (May 6th, 2021)
Old March 30th, 2014, 5:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible solution

I have added a ground from near alternator to battery negative for another ground. Also have made sure spark plug wires are not touching any metal of engine. Since I have done that I do not have flickering lights nor bouncing voltage. Also my tranny doesn't act up on me either.
It is in need of tune up. Going to replace plugs and wires. When I put wires on. I am going to put wire loom on the wires to keep them from arcing to motor robbing ground, or sending power surges.
Let me know how these work.
Thanks
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Cool. Thanks, guys. Im waiting to see if my car acts up again. So far it's been ok since I came back from the mechanic. Maybe he remedied the problem without even knowing it but I won't know unless something happens. I'll let you know.
Old June 14th, 2014, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

OK. So I haven't had most of the previously mentioned problems since I was last on, HOWEVER, Im still having starting issues. I had a full tune-up done on the car in April because I was taking a trip to Boston which is the longest run this car has been on (I live in Philadelphia). I didn't need any problems especially as I was traveling with some friends. Fortunately, the car performed great (I put over 1000 miles on it up and back). Not one issue the entire weekend, from Friday morning till Monday evening when we came back. But after after a few days and I was by myself, all of a sudden the starting issues came back where the car needed to be started in neutral. Then lately it wouldn't even start in neutral either until I had tried it three or four times. Last week as I was preparing to go to work, it took five or more tries to start. I had to leave my car at the office while I was away for a whole week and i was dreading having to return to retrieve it last night. When I got there last night, as expected, it took about several tries to get it started. Despite it already having a new battery, all it would do is click as I turned the key. But all of the features worked fine when I had the key turned (air conditioner, radio). I had to cancel a night out with friends because I was afraid it might not start at all if we went out. I parked it in front of my house and after I turned it off, I immediately restarted it to see what would happen. It started right up no problem. Im totally confused at this point. Im afraid to take it to the dealership because I've researched all the horror stories consumers have had taking their Uplanders in and getting fleeced and still having the same problems.

One thing I noticed is that when I it finally starts after a few attempts, it seems to crank very slowly as if being awakened. When that happens, I just hold the key in place and it usually catches then turns over after a couple seconds and everything is fine. After that it runs fine, no stalling or strange noises, no other dashboard lights coming on. But Im afraid to stop at a store on the way home or something for fear it won't restart. I also noticed last night that the voltage was at 12.1 while I was trying to start the car but after I got it home, the voltage was 14.3. Could that be part of the starting issue? I don't know if it is or if it just got charged from the drive home last night. I mean the car did sit for a week undisturbed. Also, I notice this happens a lot when it's very damp out or there's lots of rain. It's been a very rainy week here and the humidity is getting quite high.
Old June 14th, 2014, 4:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kwest, what year is your van? Have you owned it since new? How many miles on it?

Who did the tune-up in April? Is the mechanic knowledgeable in new technology vehicles?

What parts were replaced during the tune-up and at what mileage was the tune-up done?

It sounds like your intermittent starting fault is a simple connection problem ... you just need a good tech to isolate the connection and repair it.
Old June 17th, 2014, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Kwest, what year is your van? Have you owned it since new? How many miles on it?

Who did the tune-up in April? Is the mechanic knowledgeable in new technology vehicles?

What parts were replaced during the tune-up and at what mileage was the tune-up done?

It sounds like your intermittent starting fault is a simple connection problem ... you just need a good tech to isolate the connection and repair it.

Hey, Papa

I have a 2008 Chevy Uplander that I bought in 2012. It's got about 90, 000 miles on it. My local mechanic did the tune up. He's done the majority of my auto work since 2007 and he's the only one whose worked on the Chevy since I bought. He's very knowledgable on new technology but I don't know how much experience he's had with Uplanders which seem to give a lot of people headaches. He replaced the plugs, wires, a belt and an air filter. Im hoping this isn't about a voltage regulator which may require the engine to be dropped from what I've heard.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Kwest.
From your explanation sounds like a starter issue. Maybe try cleaning terminal at starter. Make sure it's tight but be careful when you tighten it or you will be looking for a used solenoid or buying a new starter as you can break terminal very easy. This may not be your problem but cheap and easy to check it out. If cleaning doesn't work maybe take it off and have it bench tested.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Kwest.
With voltage regulator you don't need to drop engine. Take off two front engine mounts and rotate engine to get alternator out. And honestly alternator doesn't even need to come out completely or even un bolted. Been there done that.
Old November 18th, 2014, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy Electrical problems

My 2008 uplander has been doing the same thing as most of yours, it started out as the traction control, stability control, and ABS system lights all appeared and would stay on as i was driving they would appear and disappear. only about two days ago did the 'charging system failure' light come on. It came on then went away about every hour. As far as the vehicle physically acting up there was nothing. The next day all of the above lights appeared and the 'battery saver activated' they kept appearing and disappearing, then late that night the part that really worried me was my 'Theft protection' warning display illuminated. The last time that occurred i was at a gas station and the vehicle wouldn't even attempt to start, i got home that night turned it off and turned it right back on to make sure i would not be stuck and not be able to get to school this morning, luckily it turned back on. Now this morning when we attempted to start it, it took a while to actually start, definitely not on the first turn of the key. If anyone has any advice please do tell me, we cannot sell the vehicle or buy another, I'm hesitant to spend the money on the ECM or PCM if it is not that. any information is greatly appreciated!
Old November 24th, 2014, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default same here

2008 Uplander at 100 000 km bought in 2012. Problem has been happening since we've had it. We've replaced the starter, the battery, and had the park/neutral switch checked.

The first few.times it wouldn't start we called CAA for.a jump...that got us nowhere. It would either start on its own before they got there or not start at all after a jump. There does.not appear to be aNY rhyme or reason to it not starting...it's just a fun daily game of roullette. There's no stopping to pick something up on the way home, as who knows when we'd ever get home again. I especially enjoy trying to keep my young child warm when it's happening in the dead of winter.

Of course no one's ever seen this problem before. We've had it to small mechanics, the dealership, transmission shops.

I feel so mad about this van and so guilty when I think about selling it and pawning the problem off to someone else even though that's probably why we found it at the dealership with so few km on it.

I'm reading every thread here to try to find a solution.

Quick Reply: Electrical "problems" with 2008 Chevy Uplander LS extended van