Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Blower motor resistor

Old August 29th, 2009, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Blower motor resistor

Hi all!
Have seen numerous references to replace the blower resister.... so after replaceing the dash switch module for my '06 Uplander and that not fixing my front blower, not working(most of the time) I bought a blower motor resister. Removed the panel under the glove box, the blower and resister were easy to find, the problem is trying to get at the 3 screws that hold the resister. The 2 in the front I can't even see, just feel, there is nowhere at all for a screwdriver . Am I missing something?
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The resistor was mounted to the assembly prior to installation at the factory. You may end up having to take the whole assembly out.
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down blower resister

So to replace a $30. part it is going to cost $300. in labor? basically disassemble the entire dash? There has got to be a better way.
Old August 30th, 2009, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default It's getting better...

Since I have the dash somewhat apart I decided to go ahead and try out the new resister.... works just like the old one, it don't work either. Anyway decided to pull out the multimeter, with the dash switch on 0 I get no voltage at the blower, at 2,3,4 I get a little over 1 volt, at switch setting 5 I get nothing. OK the problem is not the switch, the resister or the blower, what else could it be?
Old September 16th, 2009, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Ya that is a good Q cause my blower dial that controls how much air you want 1 through 4 dont work ne more only 5 works n i think thats bout to go soon n that aint good w winter coming soon.
Old September 17th, 2009, 4:27 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

boutmagin, replace your resistor

kew4pv, the brown wire at the hvac control module should have 12V with the key on.The yellow, tan, blue, purple and orange wires should have 12 volts on them when the switch is moved from 1-5....yellow being 1, tan being 2 etc.
If you have 12 volts on the brown wire, but still have just over 1 volt on the rest of the wires, replace the control module.If you don't have 12v on the brown wire, check the FRON BLWR fuse under the hood. Its fuse #27 rated at 25amps. If the fuse is good, check the voltage at the fuse with the key on. If it is 12 volts, there is a problem with the brown wire from the fuse to the switches. If less than 12v, switch the RUN RLY relay with the horn relay to see if that helps.

If all your voltages are good coming out of the switch, test for the same voltages on the same coloured wires at the resistor. fix the broken wires as neccesary. If its all testing ok, check the resistance to ground on the black wire. should be no more than about 5ohms. The ground location is hidden up in the dash so you may attach a jumper lead to ground to rule that out if you want.

Let me know if that helps you out, we can dig deeper if you need
Old October 6th, 2011, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

My resistor went in awsome fashion today. Parked the van today and left it for about 3 hours and when i returned I noticed the front fan was still blowing air with the dial at zero and igniton off. All i could smell was burnt plastic. Did a bit of research which led me to the resistor and after some time I removed it, which it had melted completely and was still warm along with the wires. Showed it to a local mechanic and said that it would have definitly caught fire if it had to to be left for a longer period of time. He also told me that he had to go tow some ladys uplander last week in which the same resistor accually caught fire. Waiting for a replacement from the dealer to arrive tommorow to finish the repair. That is mad.