Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

2008 Chevy Uplander transmission-works for about 30 seconds...

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2018, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 Chevy Uplander transmission-works for about 30 seconds...

I have a 2008 Chevy Uplander that I replaced the 3 transmission bands in it one year ago(classic forward band tang broke off), it had 100,000 miles then. Put back together and have put 25000 miles on it since then. have had no issues or problems until last week. Came to a stop and when I stepped on the gas i had nothing. Put it in park then drive again and it took off but started slipping and then no forward or reverse at all. Was a little over a quart low on fluid and it smelled burnt. If i let it cool down, I have all gears (fwd and reverse) fine for about 30-60 seconds and then it starts to slip until i have no forward or reverse at all. Let it cool down for a few minutes and same issue again. Once it cools down completely, it will take longer to slip. Any ideas on what to start looking at? Thanks!
Old August 28th, 2018, 8:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by RTStretch
I have a 2008 Chevy Uplander that I replaced the 3 transmission bands in it one year ago(classic forward band tang broke off), it had 100,000 miles then. Put back together and have put 25000 miles on it since then. have had no issues or problems until last week. Came to a stop and when I stepped on the gas i had nothing. Put it in park then drive again and it took off but started slipping and then no forward or reverse at all. Was a little over a quart low on fluid and it smelled burnt. If i let it cool down, I have all gears (fwd and reverse) fine for about 30-60 seconds and then it starts to slip until i have no forward or reverse at all. Let it cool down for a few minutes and same issue again. Once it cools down completely, it will take longer to slip. Any ideas on what to start looking at? Thanks!
A rebuilt automatic transmission?

Seriously, premature transmission failure has been attributed to the control module in the Uplander, which fails, which causes
the transmission to overheat.

I think we both know, since you repaired it once, that burnt-smelling non-reddish oil in an A/T means that its going to fail and pretty soon too.
Old August 28th, 2018, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any way to test that it is the control module?