Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Incessant Chimes

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2019, 8:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Incessant Chimes

I have a 2006 Uplander. Something happened on the way home from work that I can't figure out from the user manual. The chime started going off the moment I pulled out of my client's driveway and wouldn't go off. There were no idiot lights or error messages to go along with the incessant noise. I pulled over to check the rear hatch to see if I hadn't shut it properly. As soon as I turned the ignition on again, the chimes came back. On my 4 km drive home, I noticed that the chimes were louder when the vehicle was in motion but became quieter when my brakes were applied at an intersection. When I got home, I unlocked and opened the sliding doors, and rear hatch, then shut and re-locked them all to see if they were part of the problem. I turns out a piece of my equipment had fallen and was lying against one of the sliding doors. Was that the issue? I don't know, but when I restarted the van and drove it around the parking lot there were no more chimes. Can any of you tell me when and why chimes go off - besides the things listed in the manual like overheating, seat belts, doors not closed, etc. -- and why there wasn't a message on the dash to tell me what was going on? Thanks!
Old January 22nd, 2019, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom's 2007 did that as well until I pulled the fuse for the sliding door motors (the doors still lock). Also, when I press the lock button on the doors, the chimes barely work or doesn't say delayed lock on the cluster display.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 1:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Thank you! It's comforting to know it's not that serious. Did the chimes in you mother's van go off randomly, or where there things that set them off when you used the sliding doors? Is the sliding door fuse in the fuse box under the hood? Before the 'Incessant Chimes" incident I had already disabled the sliding door motor, by pressing the overhead button next to the interior lights; and the "Delayed Locking" function. (I like to make sure the doors are good and locked BEFORE I leave the vehicle.) However, I have a feeling I activated it again when I reached up to turn on the light. if the incessant chiming happens again, I might just remove that fuse.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuse is located by the glove box on the passenger side. The chimes would go off like a rocket and I discovered one of the contacts on the driver's side sliding door is loose and won't spring back out when opening the door. Refer to the owner's manual for the fuse location and it's a standard fuse, not the maxi fuse or relays.
Old January 29th, 2019, 10:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Angry Incessant Chimes came back

Two days later the chimes came back worse than ever.

Note to admin: please don't erase this post. I'm putting this down, so that other people with this problem have further information on what things cause this and how they can be fixed. This is the second time I've written this and it's a pain in the neck having to redo it.

In another post on this forum, I read that cleaning the sliding door pins and the plate they connect to on the front of the door frame also sometimes cures this problem. So I took out my sand paper, steel wool, and WD40. After several days of silence it came back again after the locksmith plugged his machine into my van to make a spare key and fob. After reading about this problem on the internet, I checked the door rollers, the PSD fuses, the rubber around the door frame and the battery. There seemed to be no issues there. Then I read that the automatic sliding door can be reset if there are problems with it, especially if the battery or PSD fuse has been removed.

To do this, I had to remove the PSD fuse and leave it out for 30 seconds. (Thank you, ChevyHeavy for telling me where it is.) While the 30 seconds went by, I sprayed the rollers and door latch with Jig-A-Loo, so they could move more freely. (I was guessing here, so I'd appreciate it if one of you experts could tell me what lubricants are best for Uplanders, since WD40 apparently gums up the works.) Then I re-activated the Power Sliding Door, put the ignition key to "lock" and opened and closed the PSD twice with the overhead consul switch.

Silence reigns again. If I have any more problems, I'll be back.

Thanks, Inari

Last edited by Inari; January 29th, 2019 at 10:42 PM. Reason: I'm trying not to insult anyone so I don't get deleted again.
Old February 25th, 2019, 9:40 PM
CF Junior Member

After weeks of silence the chimes came back again. I tried resetting the Power Sliding Door, but now the motor doesn't work. I think I'm going to pull the fuse for the PSD. I don't need the PSD. Does anyone know what else the PSD fuse is for? It's #25, Passenger side of the dash.