Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

How to reset SERVICE ABS SYSTEM Uplander 06

Old October 23rd, 2010, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to reset SERVICE ABS SYSTEM Uplander 06

I have an Uplander '06 and after the battery was discharged (after several days left with something turned on) I got SERVICE ABS SYSTEM, SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM and other related to tracktion control. I know they come up because the battery was dead. I would like to know if there is a procedure to clear those messages and ligths on the dashoard.

Thanks in advance.
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Uplander BrakeS???

Here is the service record from my 05 Uplander font brakes only the rears where another long story.
23/ 6/06 42,007KM front end shimmy when braking, Dealer service machined front rotors no charge
24/7/08 95,879 KM Front end shimmy under braking non dealer replace front pads and machine rotors $320
21/9/09 123,641 Front end shimmy under braking non dealer
replace front pads and rotors $488.30
5/3/10 139,118 Front end shimmy under braking non dealer
serviced pads and rotors chamfering pads no charge
19/4/10 143,180 ABS lite on non dealer
replace front abs pigtail $160.26
26/10/10 169/188 front end shimmy abs lite on when (not moving) turn ing the steering wheel to the right 3/4 full lock I called about warrantty and was told they would have to do a service diagnostic, but they said they suspect it was the other pigtail (they did not indicate in the service invoice left or right) so probably $200 to $500.
I'll do it myself now.
note the first dealer warranty check was $83.02
the next was $410.38
the 3rd was $674.64 with this note
customer declined following maintenance items:
purge & clean fuel injection system $129.95
power steering system flush $99.95
brake system flush $115.95
The idea than a warranty check costing over a thousand dollars is not warranty it's taking you to the cleaners
It looks like GM did a VERY POOR job of engineering the braking system for the Uplander, it's obvious the brake system is for a much lighter car and were transplanted to the Uplander in a cost saving program.
Old October 30th, 2010, 1:15 AM
CF Junior Member

I have an 2005 Uplander. I have had some brake issues as well. I have 147,000KMs on it. I just recently upgraded my front rotors to an after market product-Raybestos. Never tried to turn the original GM rotors as they were very light. The upgraded rotors that I installed were about $100.00 total more expensive than the "genuine" GM parts. The extra cost was worth it. I also used upgraded after market brake pads which stopped the squeaking brakes that were present right from the factory. My brakes are now smooth and operate the way they should.

Yes, GM went with inferior brakes on the Uplander [2005]. GM's Business Model was broken at that time and they were producing vehicles whereby they were cutting corners. In my opinion, they also put uncomfortable and inferior materials in seats in the 2005 Van. I dislike the seats in my van.

The sad part about this whole situation is that GM knew they were producing crap and they were unable to stop the bleeding until their bankruptcy in 2009.
Old October 30th, 2010, 1:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Unwilling" to stop.
Old October 30th, 2010, 9:25 PM
CF Junior Member

@Papa Bear, I stand corrected, your right they were "unwilling to stop" the bleeding.
Old October 31st, 2010, 9:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My brother has an 08 Montana, he lives south of North Bay, ON Canada. He was having brake issues and was informed that his rotors were rusted beyond repair.. and it was NOT warranty under the 3yr 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty.
He lives on a dirt road that is treated with a chloride spray but none of his neighbors have rust issues with their vehicles like he has had with his GM vehicles. This one is his last.
Old July 30th, 2014, 7:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default Uplander 2006

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
My brother has an 08 Montana, he lives south of North Bay, ON Canada. He was having brake issues and was informed that his rotors were rusted beyond repair.. and it was NOT warranty under the 3yr 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty.
He lives on a dirt road that is treated with a chloride spray but none of his neighbors have rust issues with their vehicles like he has had with his GM vehicles. This one is his last.
I have a 2006, not happy with the many times my brakes had to be replaced. I also live on a dirt road, and like many more that do, I have been the only one with brake issues. Replaced them about 4 times since I have had the van,,I do not put on many miles, (yes miles) in 1 year, about 3000, app: My husband replaced them last year, and yes they were bad. Not happy with the van, it is cold in the winter, if all the seats in the back are up, poor viability,,they were down when I test drove. won't ever buy again.
Old July 31st, 2014, 8:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for registering here to complain. Keep in mind that Uplander is not an off-road vehicle. Mine has 250.000km on it, never had engine or transmission issues, still original suspension, both A/C work very good, no rust spots on the body, and I find visibility good for the size of the van. I change rotors every second brake pads change, parts are very cheap. Never had vibrations or other brake issues. People with issues tend to complain on Internet, happy owners just drive their vehicles. Uplander/Montana is quite popular van here in Canada, so I guess there are more happy owners than Internet complainers.
Old August 17th, 2014, 12:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over two years ago I had it and replaced all the rotors and pads with aftermarket parts and since then no shimmy, no squealing and I am happy with the aftermarket parts. Now we are seeing how cheap the GM factory was with their out sourcing of parts and it clarified why the brakes were such a problem. So do not get the GM parts, buy from someone else and just replace all the rotors and pads, and your brakes will be good for a few years. BTW. Buy the better pads the uplander is heavy and wishing you had, after an accident isnot the right time.
Old September 19th, 2014, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default ignition

Got a new key today and I need to get it yo work in the ignition so I can star the van

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to reset SERVICE ABS SYSTEM Uplander 06