Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

my new 08 Uplander issues

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2015, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new 08 Uplander issues

Hi folks, new to this forum and looking for some advice. First, I was hit in the rear bumper and my backup warning system is inop, where can I buy new URPA sensors? Second, where can I get a repair manual for this car, Clinton or Haynes or any other? I am not happy to see the rapid progress of rust under this vehicle, very thin metal with apparently substandard anti-rust coatings, even the mickey mouse spare is severely rusted. Fran
Old September 29th, 2015, 8:32 PM
CF Active Member

I don't know how hard it is to get them out, but I'd say junk yard.

Chilton or Haynes is OK but nowadays you can usually find the factory manuals on eBay.
Old September 30th, 2015, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default 08 Uplander rear distance sensors

HI Unanimous, will check out the Ebay manuals for this rig. My research has revealed the part # for these is #89047102, and they go under a few names: the owners manual says "URPA sensors" the term "back-up" and "Park assist" pop up also. So far the parts are only available from a GM type parts place: dealer, $250, best internet deal $167. I have not discovered the disassemble y necessary for replacement and if any holders, brackets or whatever are needed besides the new part. There are hints that a new sensor mount is needed. The local dealer wants one hour shop charge to say how many sensors are bad+ $250 each and labor? So I was hit by an uninsured driver and am in a small pickle, might just let it go, like a bad AC system, not work fixing. Anyone with details on bumper dis-assembly would be appreciated.Fran
Old September 30th, 2015, 6:45 PM
CF Active Member

Looks like the bumper fascia has to be removed to get to the sensors.

Disclaimer: I drive an '05 Venture, not sure if the '08 Uplander is still the same.

Last edited by U.Nanimous; September 30th, 2015 at 6:52 PM.
Old September 30th, 2015, 6:49 PM
CF Active Member

And here's the diagnostic to find out what need fixing.

Old September 30th, 2015, 6:50 PM
CF Active Member

And when you think you are all done...

Old October 1st, 2015, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default info appreciated

Thanks U Nanimous, I'll see if it applies to my Uplander. My last vehicle was a 97 Venture, and after I did a head and upper gaskets job mine ran nicely. It was noticeably ruggeder than this very flimsy Uplander. Fran
Old October 2nd, 2015, 6:15 AM
CF Beginner

"Back 3 spark plugs"
U. Nanimous, another issue I failed to mention is the back 3 spark plug change deal. Would you have any experience in this area? I have a 3.9 which means less room. I used the "rock engine forward" technique on my older Venture, yet have heard the "from underneath" method is better. Any thoughts on this issue? Fran

Last edited by fmgag365; October 2nd, 2015 at 6:16 AM. Reason: addition
Old October 2nd, 2015, 5:13 PM
CF Active Member

Sorry, no personal experience there yet. The last vehicle I had long enough to change the plugs on was a '92 Camaro - through the wheel wells.

I have 3 vehicles (2 are new to me in the last year) and TOTAL mileage driven is easily under 10K. If my vehicles were actually new I'd never have to put plugs in, the Venture is currently at 92K miles and gets driven the least now so it will probably be a while before I get to those plugs.
Old November 16th, 2015, 6:39 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by fmgag365
"Back 3 spark plugs"
U. Nanimous, another issue I failed to mention is the back 3 spark plug change deal. Would you have any experience in this area? I have a 3.9 which means less room. I used the "rock engine forward" technique on my older Venture, yet have heard the "from underneath" method is better. Any thoughts on this issue? Fran
you can roll the engine forward by removing the two upper engine torque rods.you will need to lock the engine in place,once that is done ,remove sparkplug wires and related wiring to coil pack.then remove the coilcack,then remove coil mounting bracket.you will then have the room to remove the rear plugs.just reassemble in reverse order.hope this helps you out and i know your question was posted in october.sorry for the late response.