Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

vehicles lifts causing rust

Old April 1st, 2010, 7:09 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry vehicles lifts causing rust

I wonder why the garages and car dealers dont have protective rubber pads on their lift pads. These lift pads are metal and when they lift up your vehicle it is metal on metal. This is not good on your jacking point. The factory protective paint is scratched right away and it is a start for rust. ON my personnal jack I have protective pad that dont make any marks on the body. When I have to go for service I insist that my vehicle is raised with the lift that has ramp instead of the metal pads. ON my impala I had serious rusting that was caused by the metal to metal contact.
Old April 1st, 2010, 6:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know what you mean. I change my own oil on ramps and each year I check the underside for signs of rust (a shot of black rustoleum paint usually stops them in their tracks) and drop the spare tire to lube the cable.
If I have to use my hydraulic jack under the van, I put a block of wood on the lifting plate.
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I always insist to check how they are going to lift my vehicle. The owner is the one to care about the vehicle. Can't rely on mechanics. Their interest is to do the job as fast as possible and to take your money. There is no exception in my experience. No matter if the car is in a small garage or in dealer's expensive shop. Sad, but true.