Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:27 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Panic alarm has a mind of it's own

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2011, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Panic alarm has a mind of it's own

Hello everyone.. new member here, although I read this forum whenever I do have problems I can't tackle. I appreciate the info I've used so far.

I have a 2005 Uplander, about ~79000 miles. Never had any "major" issues. I've always had problems with panic alarm being very finicky and going off for weird reasons. I do not have a key fob for my Uplander.

Ok, so what's happening is now, seemingly out of the blue, whenever we use the power door locks to lock the doors it arms the alarm. This wouldn't happen before, Any action taken after the alarm is armed results in the panic going off, including opening the door, even after unlocking it with the key, starting it, closing the door, etc. It seems to just have a mind of its own. Yesterday it was going off while we were driving!! Honking and flashing lights driving through traffic at 5pm. Awesome. People got out of our way though...

Anyway, I thought maybe it was related to the power sliding door (we have passenger side only power sliding door) because everything I read on the net is related to the doors. Cleaned the sensor, ensured the door is closing properly. Don't see an issue. I even pulled the fuses to the door and left them out.. no change, still panic alarm.

I've checked the voltage on the battery. 12v while sitting, 14v when running. About what I'd expect right? I've pulled the battery cables and let it sit. I've held the two battery cables together (while disconnected from the battery) to discharge any capacitors and ensure a full reset. No change.

Oh, and I've also pulled the horn relay out so that I can work on this thing without my ears bleeding.

Barring a miracle, it looks like we're dealership bound tomorrow.

Is there a way to disable the panic alarm completely?? Is there something else I can do/check to make this thing stop! Help
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

Dropped off af the local Chevy dealer at 7am. Watched them pull into the bay with the horn going nuts. They called me at 5pm to ask if they could keep it overnight. Asked where they were with it and was told they're still investigating to pinpoint the problem
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:21 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking forward to hearing what the dealer finds. Good luck.
Old December 7th, 2011, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

The dealer told me they re-programmed the theft deterrent module and the body control module. While doing that they also replaced my FOB and programmed that. $160 out the door. No problems so far.. here's to hoping it doesn't happen again!

Going to tackle my front struts and sway bar links this weekend. I just did the rear shocks and brake pads/rotors this past weekend.