Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Pulling to one side + Rough riding

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2007, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling to one side + Rough riding

Hi All,

My wife drives the uplander but I just wanted to see what you thought about this issue. Tire pressure is good. The car seems to pull to the right...and if you let go of the wheel it will go off to the right. It also seems to ride really really rough. I took it to the dealer a while back to have the tires rotated and balanced. At that time the service advisor told me that one of my rims was "bent" but he said it wasn't bent enough to warrant buying another one for $465. He said he would move it to the back so that the vibration wouldn't be as noticable. It is an 05 and it has 34k on it. Other than the annoying rattles that seem to be present in every chevy product I have ever owned, the vehicle seems to be fine. When it was new, I had a confident feeling when cornering and driving it on the highway...but now...it just doesn't seem to handle as well at all. Any ideas as to what might be going on. The tires don't seem to be wearing abnormally.
Old December 30th, 2010, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default Pulling to right side + riding rough

Have there been any updates on this one?
This sounds like what has been happening to us for the last month.
Our van is an 07 which has been modified with a lowered floor for wheelchair access. At times, when there is a high spot in the road or driveway, the exhaust along the centerline drags.

I was beginning to suspect that I should check the pressure is the pneumatic suspension on the read.

I have seen over forums discussing a broken shock mounts in the rear.

Any suggestions?
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:15 PM
CF Junior Member

If your tire pressures are okay and the vehicle is obviously pulling in one direction when you briefly let go of the steering wheel, [also if there is any indication of uneven wear on the tread of the front tires] check the wheel alignment. A good wheel alignment service center will identify and deal with any issues with pneumatic suspension.

If you have any kind of damage to your wheel rim, replace the rim. The vibration from a damaged rim will cause undo stress on bearings, etc. Look around for good used rims if a new one is too expensive for you.

Also, the '05 Uplander sway bar links on the front end are prone to premature failure. It is not an expensive item to fix. I had both replaced on my '05 within 3 years, 60,000kms. I had a rattle underneath my vehicle each time that the links failed.

Consider replacing the links with a good after market product rather than the so called GM certified parts. In fact, where possible and practical, use good quality after market products rather than GM parts, as the after market product are often more superior in performance and quality.
Old December 19th, 2011, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

2011 Chevy Express van with a rough ride. Any idea to smooth it some?