Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Radio wiring

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2015, 2:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio wiring

Hi!

I'm planning on installing a Parrot blue tooth unit in my '08 Uplander with standard (?) radio. I'm saying standard because it doesn't seem to have any special bells or whistles.

What it does have is a "mute" button, and I'm wondering if that mute can also be triggered by wire (i.e. by my blue tooth unit). I haven't been able to find it documented anywhere, but I know from experience with other cars that that doesn't mean so much. I hope somebody here knows.

Another question related to the radio wiring: does it use ISO plugs to connect to the car, or do I need a converter set?
Old January 22nd, 2015, 7:33 PM
CF Active Member

You'll need a module/converter so you don't lose your chimes regardless of the head unit you install - here's one: Metra GMOS-01 Wiring Interface Connect a new car stereo and retain OnStar®, factory door chimes, and audible safety warnings in select GM vehicles at Crutchfield.com
There are likely others which may be less expensive but I have this one installed in mine so I can say that it works.

And since you've got to wire this between the radio and the harness, you'll also need an adapter set to connect to the OEM wiring.

I did mine a couple of months ago...easy job.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 4:35 AM
CF Beginner

Since I'm not replacing the head unit, I only would need a rewiring harness. I found this one: Parrot Hands Free Adapter Harness QCGM-2 QUICKCONNECT

It's pretty expensive for a couple of bucks worth of material, but I guess it's virtually impossible to get your hands on a male and (even more so) female OEM plug. Otherwise I'd just make one :-)

Still bookmarking your link though, because it's not unlikely I'll want to replace the HU in the future :-)

Do you know if the original HU supports mute by wire? The product you linked has a wire for it (brown), but obviously that doesn't mean that the OEM radio supports it.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 7:17 PM
CF Active Member

Let me see if I can find the install instructions...there were a few wires which didn't get attached to anything and were just taped off but I don't remember which...if the mute was one of them that should give you the answer...

Give me a little time to locate-will be in touch.