Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Rust spots on front doors+ third light problem

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2013, 9:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust spots on front doors+ third light problem

I have an 09 uplander extended lt with just over 85 000 km on it and I am noticing these little dots of rust on both front doors of the van. I have no clue how they got there as I keep the vehicle clean during winter and summer. A buddy of mine told me that its the hot brake dust particles that fly onto the paint. Anyone know about this?
Also, My third brake light seems to be peeling the paint around the edges of where it sits and it also seems to be leaking. whenever it rains or i give it a wash, water ends up in the trunk. When i removed the light, the top portion of the seal was missing. I put a bead of caulking on it to temporarily solve the leaking problem. is there anyway to stop the paint from peeling?
Old June 14th, 2013, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default 3rd brake light

I have same problem with mine with paint blister & peeling. It is a 2005 with 125,000 miles. I need to replace the 3rd brake light because someone messed with it, and didn't know what they were doing. Now the lens is cracked for starters.
Old November 20th, 2013, 12:51 PM
CF Junior Member

the third brake is a definite problem area, my '08, already had the brake light cover replaced under warranty and now 3 years alter, i see the paint is peeling off.
Old December 7th, 2013, 9:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Hey guys, I seemed to have solved the third Light issue. I went to my local scrapyard and took a third light from a venture. the venture light has a better seal around it and is the almost identical to the uplander one. Installed it, and there's no leak!! The only difference is that the actual LEDs are smaller and there are more of them. in my opinion the venture third light looks better. By the way,the paint doesn't peel anymore and it only cost me around $10 for the light compared to dealerships $100+ replacement.
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:13 AM
CF Beginner

My 97 Pontiac Trans Sport 3rd brake light cracked at ~90,000 for no apparent reason. Shortly thereafter I bought my new 05 SV6, and won't you know it the lens cracked on it withing a couple weeks so I had it replaced under warrenty. I've noticed a couple years ago that it appeared to be "peeling" so I buffed it. It helped some but didn't all go away. Obviously didn't spend enough money on UV stabilizers in the plastic.

ISZ
Old March 1st, 2014, 4:03 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by icestationzebra
My 97 Pontiac Trans Sport 3rd brake light cracked at ~90,000 for no apparent reason. Shortly thereafter I bought my new 05 SV6, and won't you know it the lens cracked on it withing a couple weeks so I had it replaced under warrenty. I've noticed a couple years ago that it appeared to be "peeling" so I buffed it. It helped some but didn't all go away. Obviously didn't spend enough money on UV stabilizers in the plastic.

ISZ
Our Uplander did the exact same thing - replaced it with an aftermarket one from Rock Auto for about $20 on sale and that was the end of that. I'm pretty sure that the original part was not exactly the right shape/contour and when they tightened, it tried to bend itself into the right shape and ultimately cracked. Plastic doesn't typically bend very well....

Last edited by 442dude; March 1st, 2014 at 4:06 PM.