Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Starting Problems

Old December 13th, 2011, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

screw the customer service crap whats the actual problem with the vehicle that's what these forums are for not damage control for the dealers!
Old February 4th, 2012, 1:58 AM
CF Beginner

I had this problem on my 06 uplander. it started about 120k miles. I tried plugs and wires, air filter, vacuum leak but no avail. Then @ 136.5k i lost #4 rod out the back of the oil pan. I replaced the engine with one that had 15k and was rebuilt to replace gaskets and seals. I had to reuse the throttle body, front cover, starter, purge soleniod, plugs and wires, and the EGR. It now starts great every time again.

On the old engine found that the timing chain was a bit loose had about x3 slack as the 15k engine. I think this could be the problem to the hard start.
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default Warm start problem

We had this problem on our 05 sv6 montana{same van diff emblem}
would only start if u pushed down accelerator when engine was warm,it started normal when cold .
Try removing flex tube between throttle body and air intake box,
open butter fly gently ,I used a piece of rubber tubing to hold open to spray throttle body cleaner inside.

Focus on plate sealing area, we had lots of build up around ours.Best to do when engine is cold because exhaust crossover pipe is below,and cleaner is flammable!
Hope this works for your van also.

Now I can fix my pwr rht sliding door not closing at times with alarm sounding.

My abs engaging at speeds below 5mph

My flickering lights

I have not had this many problems with all the other gm vehicals I've owned combined.
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default uplander not wanting to start or run smopoth

I just spent 3 weeks having my 2007 uplander in the shop. First error code was the crankshaft position sensor. went through 2 new ones. Then the ECC, had to get a GM one for it to work. Still sometimes ran like crap if it started. Finally the mechanics were told about rust build-up on the block where the Crankshaft position sensor is mounted. Sure enough, a chisel and hammer, an angle grinder. It runs great again.
Old June 20th, 2015, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Throttle body

See the above post regarding throttle body. I have a 2009 LT2 Uplander
and this was happening to me. No start when warm unless give it a little
gas, plus starter would "run on" after vehicle already running and key back
in the on mode.
After reading numerous forums the most likely fix that made sense to me
was dirty throttle body. I'm no mechanic or even close to automotive guy
but I managed to fix this myself which means anyone can do it.
Follow instructions from guy above a couple posts up.
For those dumb like me....open hood, look at right side of engine for big 4"
roughly flexible black hose, that is the air intake hose. There is a hose clamp
on each end. Take off hose and disconnect any electrical connector. Look inside engine side where hose disconnected. That is throttle body. There is butterfly round flap valve (metal) that I think is the choke( no air, or lots of air). It gets all gummed up from I think from unburned fuel where the butterfly seals to the throttle body. Go to Automotive store ask for 2 things. Throttle body spray cleaner and MAP (mass air flow sensor cleaner).
Use throttle body spray cleaner to clean all varnish gunk from inside there, around butterfly, use a tooth brush to scrub any that wont dissolve with a few good sprays and wait a few minutes to dissolve and dissipate cleaner.
Use MAP cleaner to clean the sensor that sits inside black tube, that can get gummed up to. Don't use throttle body cleaner on MAP sensor, it's to harsh for the plastics in there. Get both types.
After cleaning both sensor and throttle body my problems with starting, starter run on, went away. Cost of cleaner roughly 20 bucks. Time from
start of hood lift to finish 30-40 minutes. Very easy fix for no knowledge
dummies like me.
Also type clean throttle body and MAF or MAP sensor, not sure what sensor is called, one or the other, into Youtube for video examples.
You may not find Uplander but a lot of chev vehicles are fairly similar and
it'll give you courage to try it yourself. That's what I did, once I saw a video of another vehicle, I knew I could try it myself. Much luck and thks
to those who posted about the throttle body fix. Keep the money in the
hands of the little guy, we already paid enough for these vehicles and don't need to be paying thru the nose every time we turn around.