Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2014, 6:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Upgrade

I am looking to see what my options are to upgrade my wife's 2006 Uplander's stereo to a unit that will give her Bluetooth, USB or Line-in input, and Sirius/XM that will all work seamlessly with Onstar and the rest of the particulars of her van.

Anyone have first hand experience with this? Am I looking at an upgraded unit from the dealer as well as installation, or has anyone had success with aftermarket units?

Thanks in advance.
Old December 30th, 2014, 11:16 PM
CF Active Member

Whatever the dealer would offer in a form of upgrade, IF they even offer an upgrade for the discontinued Uplander platform, it would likely be highly overpriced and underfeatured compared to aftermarket units.

If you're not comfortable with installation yourself or have no experience with it, you may want to check out a few reputable car audio shops in your area and see what units they suggest and what their prices are for install,etc.

Aside from deciding on a double din/single din unit (Navigation,etc), one or two add on interfaces will be needed from Pac or Axxess to install with the head unit.

I'm running an older high end Pioneer unit with Ipod/Aux control (no BT) along with an active amplifier, front components and a 12" subwoofer but these vans can be subject to electrical noise, though an experienced shop can handle this.

Jeremy
Old December 31st, 2014, 4:48 PM
CF Active Member

I put this one in our Uplander when the OEM unit started turning itself on and off by itself: Pioneer FH-X720BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

BT, USB and iPod/Phone/Android control as well as Pandora through your phone. Also comes with an external mic for BT phone calls.

No XM/Sirius although you could use the line in if you've got a separate unit - (if its integrated into your existing OEM then I suppose this won't help)

With the correct mounting adapter you will also keep all of your chimes and OnStar.

Not everyone is a Pioneer fan but this one sounds pretty good even with the factory speakers. The MIXTRAXX stuff is for kids IMHO but its easy enough to disable using the directions in the box. It took me about 2 hours to install including putting together the wiring harnesses before I even started on taking the dash apart.

As an added bonus if you buy it through Crutchfield - their support is second to none - they can actually walk you through the installation on the phone if their included instructions aren't enough - and their included instructions are the best in the business...

Hope this helps...

Last edited by 442dude; December 31st, 2014 at 4:53 PM.