Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Throttle body cleaning on 3.9? No big deal?

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2011, 5:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body cleaning on 3.9? No big deal?

Hey guys, I've tuned up my '08 Cargo 3.9 w/plugs, wires, coolant and air filter. I still notice an idle lope of sorts and have no doubt the TB needs a good cleaning.

Just one question, are there any throttle relearn procedures required when the TB is opened without the vehicle on? I know this is required on late model Nissans and other imports but not having a shop manual, I wasn't sure.

I guess I'll have to buy one of those ebay manual CDs or something...wish I could find a shop manual though...

Thanks

Jeremy
Old September 21st, 2011, 7:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

This my opinion. If your going to get that deep into repair, tune up whatever, you need a chassis service manual or at least a Haynes manual.
Old September 21st, 2011, 8:52 PM
CF Active Member

Yeah it would be nice if Haynes or Chilton's made one....that's why I may buy the CD if there's no other options aside from spending $200 on a shop manual through the dealer....
Old September 23rd, 2011, 2:44 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry but plugs and wires is not a tune.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 9:03 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What is a tune ?? ......
Old September 23rd, 2011, 8:49 PM
CF Active Member

Beats me and I've worked on and maintained my own motorcycles, NA and turbo cars and now this van. Maybe I should've changed the notorious head gasket along with the pistons while I was at it? I'll save the rings for the next 'tune' lol....

EDIT: Did anyone here actually end up buying the shop manual in book form? I'm going to check with a couple of GM dealers tomorrow and see what they say and if so, what the charge is...

BTW, all kidding aside, if you GM gurus have specific info re tuneups or anything else, I'm always welcome to suggestions. Aside from the PCV system which seems fine at this point (better be, van's an '08!), there doesn't seem to be much else to this engine that needs periodic attention as long as the head gasket holds up. I'm going to be modifying the intake system soon to get some increased flow and do some research/testing on the stock muffler setup to see how much restriction is there. Factory y pipe (aside from stock cats) and catback seem sufficient for at least 10-20% over stock, though a true 2.5"-3" catback would no doubt help it breath up top along with the engine's VVT...

Last edited by niceguy88; September 25th, 2011 at 3:21 PM.