Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2015, 7:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems

I have a 2007 Uplander LT 3.9l...it was driving fine this afternoon and all of a sudden it just started revving and not moving.It worked in reverse and first bit nothing else.I got it home and topped up the fluid because it seemed low still nothing.I have reverse and first, no drive 2nd or 3rd gear. I let it run for a few minutes and re-checked the dipstick and it was reading empty? Doesn't seem to be burning it in anyway and there are no visible leaks what in the hell could be the problem any ideas?
Old October 10th, 2015, 6:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many Kms on your van ? Has the transmission been serviced ?
Old October 10th, 2015, 9:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply papa bear...there's about 174, 000 km on it and no the trans has not been serviced!
Old October 10th, 2015, 10:12 AM
CF Senior Member

It sounds like a trip to a trusted mechanic is in order.
Old October 10th, 2015, 4:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Yes Papa Bear...I just dropped it off at my local GM dealer no codes came up through the computer and the mechanic confirmed the tranny fluid did smell burnt sonit is definetly a tranny problem...to what extent I wont find out until tuesday
Old October 27th, 2015, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Mine's an '06 with about 118 000km and it has begun to slip occasionally when stop/starting at stop signs. A couple of weeks back my mechanic recommended some Lucas Transmission Fix which seems to have helped as it does not slip as often but from what I understand it is a temporary fix and the tranny will go eventually. He said this is a fairly common issue with these vehicles. Is that accurate?
Old October 27th, 2015, 11:16 AM
CF Senior Member

I did a pan-drop and filter replacement at about 60k miles (100k KM).

I believe it took 7-8L of Dex V! fluid to bring it up to full.

Good luck.
Bob
Old October 29th, 2015, 7:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MacGyver
Mine's an '06 with about 118 000km and it has begun to slip occasionally when stop/starting at stop signs. A couple of weeks back my mechanic recommended some Lucas Transmission Fix which seems to have helped as it does not slip as often but from what I understand it is a temporary fix and the tranny will go eventually. He said this is a fairly common issue with these vehicles. Is that accurate?
The 4T65E transmission is a good gearbox if it is treated right.
I believe a "drain & fill with new filter" at 50k miles is good, cheap insurance toward a healthy transmission.
Reuse the original pan gasket, no need for a new one and most replacement gaskets aren't as good as the original.

If you live in hilly terrain, lots of stop-& go driving or pull a trailer then a transmission cooler would extend the life of the transmission.
Heat kills transmission fluid

The cost of a good re-manufactured transmission is thousands of dollars plus inconvenience and downtime.

A new filter and 8L of Dexron V! is less than $100.
It's worth it to drop the pan and change the filter especially at the first drain/fill to eliminate the primary wear debris and permit full flow.

All the best.
Old December 11th, 2015, 4:26 AM
CF Beginner

Mine toggles in and out of overdrive tcc so i cut the tcc wire.
Question: How much will this affect fuel economy? ( No Lockup)
New fluid and filter; pan was clean considering 120 K.
I got it used, and do not know any history.
Old May 18th, 2016, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

My 07 just went nowhere one morning. Only goes in reverse but my fluid was clean. Although my gf actually put about 6 extra quarts for god knows what reason and i didn't found out until i check the dip stick and it was half way! Anyhow, i hear it can be a pressure control solenoid. Did any of you guys that had this problem got it fixed? And if so, what was the end result and cause of the problem?