Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

3 vs. 2 dashboard vent replace

Old May 29th, 2012, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 vs. 2 dashboard vent replace

Hi, recently acquired a 2007 Uplander Cargo van, and want to modify the A/C
vent.
This model came with the three center vents, with the two wheels to control them.
I want to swap the panel for a two vent. I've seen and driven two and three vent Uplanders, same year, and very much prefer the two vent.
The center vent is designed to send the air to the back, between the seats, something we don't need.
To swap to the two vent system I would also need to replace the face itself, the part that surrounds the vents.
The two vent doesn't have the wheel adjusters of course, and is shaped a bit different.
Tried to look up the parts from Chevy, but the only sites I can find are less than useful...
Any help would be appreciated.
Old June 6th, 2012, 11:17 PM
CF Beginner

Try Rock Auto Parts. (rockauto.com)

ISZ
Old June 7th, 2012, 3:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Post 3 vs. 2 dashboard vent replace

Welcome to the Forum,

Try theautopartsshop.com
Old June 7th, 2012, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

Hi, thanks for the replies.
Local dealer was able to find what he thinks is the part number.
Even with his schematics, it's very hard to tell which part is correct, as Chevy doesn't allow for any non stock parts.

Waiting on order for a week now.
Will post if the part is correct, and if the parts swap works.
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

It was a very long week.
The part came in yesterday.
So 5 weeks to receive the 2 panel replacement for the stock 3 panel vent.
About 20 minutes to swap it out.

Those of you with the two vent have no reason to read this. Those happy with the air flow with their three vent, also can ignore this.

HOW;
To swap it, you pry off the radio/climate control surround, using plastic putty knife or equivalent, carefully unsnapping the clips. It is thin and fragile.
Then gently un-snap the vents a little bit pulling it forward just a small amount, to give you room to unhook the two wire harnesses (some may have three).
Then push the vent body back in and down, gently. then you can unhook the two top retainers.
The vents are then free.
Unscrew the one Phillips screw, then gently work the six side snaps loose, A small flat blade screwdriver works for this.
Remove the switch plate (made in China) and swap it to the new vent panel. Also transfer the screw.
Replace the harnesses, push it back into place and re-install the surround.

WHY?
My wife has heat flashes (don't laugh, your wife will get them eventually, and you will suffer for it).
Many of the Uplanders we drove had great A/C, the one we bought was marginal. It's an extended, Bordeaux Red Metallic. No rear A/C, and it gets hot inside.
The temperatures from the A/C ports were fine, very cold, plenty of air, but the air distribution blows... Or sucks, well, you get the idea.

The three vent panel seems to be used on the vans without the rear A/C.
I believe the theory is that the center air vent will cool the rear passengers better than two 'selfish' front vents pointed at driver and passenger. The center doesn't point directly at either front seat, just mostly at the back.
We have a cargo van and while it has a third seat, nobody sits there.

The three vent units look cooler, have a better gadget appeal with the 'roll to shut off' controls.
What they don't do is direct air worth a darn.

You get a little bit for the driver, a little bit for the passenger and a tiny bit for the back. You can't move the vent flow controls far enough for the passenger side to help the driver, or vice versa.
The center vent won't help either side very much.
Yes, you can roll either side off, but the tiny vent doesn't flow much air, even with the opposite side closed.

If you live in the mountains, beach, great north etc. this is not a problem.
We live in the desert, with intense sun beating down through that large window.
100 degrees in the shade today, not a hot day really, but nice and sunny.
So mediocre cooling when driving into the sun.
Acceptable, unless someone has a hot flash.

RESULTS;
My wife rated it about 250% increase in air across her.
I think she is right.
So, if you are not getting enough air hitting where you need it, consider this modification.

COSTS;
I paid 52 bucks with shipping for the part. Local dealer wanted roughly twice that, and my wife feels it would be well worth it at either price.

Why the results are what they are;
With the two vent there is noticeably more air coming through than with the three.
Part of the problem is fixed because there is no 'shut off' mechanism in the two vent.
The wheel controlled stopper blocks a fair bit of air by itself even when in the fully open position.
Maybe 10% of the air. Then the three vents together are smaller than the two vents. Looks about 20-25% less air flow possible.
Most importantly, with the two vent you can direct the air from either side to the opposite side. So if one person needs it, they can get all the air in the system hitting them where they want it.

Last edited by chrisadams; July 5th, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Excellent !! Thank you for the comprehensive write-up.