Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Turn off ABS?

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2013, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn off ABS?

My local garage and the GM dealership have not been able to turn off the 'service ABS' message. Also the ABS occasionally comes on when I wouldn't expect it (e.g. low speed exiting a parking lot)

1) Is there any danger that a faulty ABS will turn the brakes off when I need them? i.e. is it dangerous?

2) If it isn't dangerous where is the fuse to disable the ABS (don't see it on the fuse panel diagram I downloaded)? - & will that make the error message permanent?
Old January 6th, 2013, 4:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dealer cannot "turn off" the warning light.

Let them make the repairs necessary for the light to go off.They can pull codes to see what is wrong.Probably just a sensor,or even low brake fluid.

Your vehicle will brake without ABS..but why?

Don't try to defeat the safety mechanisms of your car by trying to pull fuses etc.

It's your brake system...you know the one that can save your life.
Old January 7th, 2013, 6:26 AM
CF Active Member

Nor would I want the dealer or anyone else to "turn off" the warning light.

The ABS coming on at the wrong times means there is something wrong with the wheel speed circuit or its associated wiring. This is especially not an unusual repair on an Uplander...or for that matter any ABS equipped vehicle.

The is no danger of your brakes not working when you push the pedal - the ABS light is just telling you that there is something wrong with the ABS system which has caused it to shut itself down. Its only dangerous in the fact that your anti lock brake system is disabled. This also will disable your traction control system if equipped as is uses the same information as the ABS system.

Even if you pulled the ABS fuse its not going to turn off the warning lights-it just will cut the power to the ABS actuators which has already been turned off by the error message. Do what you will but I would pursue repairing the system as opposed to trying to figure out how to get rid of it. Anti lock brakes are one of the most valuable safety systems in modern vehicles.
Old July 27th, 2015, 3:03 PM
CF Active Member

Sorry to bring back an old thread but my search only resulted in this one.

While I agree a working ABS system is a great safety feature, when it is not working properly it can actually increase your braking distance. I'm sure many of us have driven vehicles without ABS and learn how to pump the brakes in the snow without getting into an accident at every stop.

So I was searching for this because I would also like to know what to unplug because the traction control and ABS is intrusive for a fair distance before the error message comes up and it disables itself. Unfortunately simply pushing the traction control button does not do enough. This is currently a 3rd vehicle and only gets driven MAYBE one day a week and also has other problems so taking it to the dealer immediately and spending $$$ is not an option. It will get fixed, just not today, so like the OP I too would like to know how to temporarily shut it off (although I realize the message will not go away until it is fixed - I can live with a light for a short while).
Old July 27th, 2015, 7:39 PM
CF Active Member

I understand your point and while I would still pursue the repair, I also know what you're talking about as while ours was slowly failing I know it would act weird until the light came on and disabled the system...so the goal is to make it easy for the system to figure out there is a problem and electronically disable it quickly until you have a chance to repair it.

I would think the easiest way to "help" the computer figure out there is a problem within driving 50 feet or so would be to disconnect one of the speed sensors at one of the front wheels. There's a plug right behind the front wheel hubs that would accomplish this...disconnecting either would make the computer think almost immediately that there was a problem and would disable the ABS and traction control. You can't make it happen immediately as it won't disable until it gets conflicting and/or out of range information from one of the sensors but doing this would certainly help the process.

Hope this helps - chances are one of the bearings needs to be replaced...get the code read so you know which one and replace it on a weekend...its really not that hard and makes for a fun project.
Old July 27th, 2015, 11:06 PM
CF Active Member

BTW: '05 Venture but this thread came up in my search so I figured why not.

Forgive me for asking because I really don't know, don't these have 4 wheel ABS? I just did the front drivers bearing on my 2000 Impala so I know where the connector is you are talking about but I was thinking my problem was a rear WSS due to my how my symptoms started and my very worn rear suspension. I would hate to unplug a front sensor and have the connector get damaged from some road grime or debris and that not be the correct wheel. I just got a new reader (Autel 619?) last week, will it tell me which sensor or just 'a' sensor is bad? I have a Peake for my '99 BMW and it doesn't specify which wheel, you have to hook up a laptop to get that deep.

And I really hope it isn't a front bearing. The drivers side was replaced at 49K and the passenger side at 84K. It only has 91K now!

Last edited by U.Nanimous; July 27th, 2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old July 29th, 2015, 3:29 PM
CF Active Member

We had a 2000 Venture...Never replaced a wheel bearing on it in over 100000 miles unlike our Uplander which goes through them like nuts (lug nuts??)...I think I've done 6 in 80000 both front and rear for both failed bearings and speed sensor.

Anyway: Yes - 4 wheel ABS - All you have to do is disconnect ANY of the wheel speed sensors to get the result you are hoping for. I would definitely wrap the pigtail temporarily in tape so it doesn't get messed up. I don't have any experience with your reader so I can't say but I know that mine is a cheapo and it even says which one is out of range and failing. (IIRC there are different code #s for each location).

I would be remiss if I didn't suggest that you just replace the failed bearing...especially a rear one as they're really easy to do, and get your ABS system back in order...that said....hope this helps you temporarily.
Old July 30th, 2015, 1:35 AM
CF Active Member

It is supposed to cool down this weekend so I should be able to get out and look at. If it is just the bearing/sensor I'll be doing it ASAP, otherwise it will have to wait until I get to the suspension.

I'm guessing the '05 Venture is more like the '08 Uplander than the '00 Venture when it comes to the bearings

Thanks for the help.
Old July 31st, 2015, 1:12 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by U.Nanimous
It is supposed to cool down this weekend so I should be able to get out and look at. If it is just the bearing/sensor I'll be doing it ASAP, otherwise it will have to wait until I get to the suspension.

I'm guessing the '05 Venture is more like the '08 Uplander than the '00 Venture when it comes to the bearings

Thanks for the help.
On one of mine the wiring was completely ripped apart. Make sure you take a good look at the harness while you're there. Your code reader should be able to tell you if the reported speed is out of range or if there is a short. Pretty sure they are two different codes. I've still got the repair book for the venture. Let me know if you need any info. I could always scan and email if you need. Good luck.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 5:28 PM
CF Active Member

So much for a nice weekend, more like 1 day and in the driveway I didn't get a very good look because of other things (Impala wiper issue is not the switch or wiring under the dash, Venture passenger window regulator replaced and determined issue is the passenger door switch [fingers crossed]). It looks like I'm going to have to take each wheel off so I can stick my head in there and really check it out.

Also, it turns out my reader (Autel AL519) doesn't tell me anything. I drove for about 20 miles with random annoying interference from the ABS before the lights came on but without the service engine light it says there are no codes to read. And since this problem resets every time you shut the van off, I don't see ever getting a code with this reader unless what ever is going decides to finally die.

And thanks for the offer but I already have the factory manuals.

Quick Reply: Turn off ABS?