Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Unbearable Rattling

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2010, 1:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbearable Rattling

Hello forum members i am new here. to start i very recently purchased a 2005 Uplander LT approx 82k miles on the clock. it had a few small suspension noises, one of which being the front sway bar end links which I've taken care of. the other is the rear trailing arm bushings which i have yet to fix. we've had the van for about a month now and in that time it has developed an unbearable rattle from the drivers sliding door area. It appears to be coming from the floorboard area close to the door. happens at all speeds, but worsens as speed increases. strangely though, the noise almost completely disappears when turning(either direction) and also under medium to heavy braking. the niose is always present when the vehicle is moving and sounds kind of like a high speed drill with a length of bailing wire attached being run inside of a metal trash can, just without the noise of the drill. it has gotten so bad the i honestly cant drive the van for more than 10 or 15 minutes without a migraine headache setting in. Any ideas?
Old August 1st, 2010, 8:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Welcome to this forum. There is some good info here.

I do not know specific what the cause if for your problem, but I am sure some of the other members will have some specific suggestions.

With a noise that is as prevalent as you describe, it should not take a qualified mechanic at your dealership long to quickly find the problem. Personally, I am not afraid to use my own dealership for problems/service even though they charge a $100 labor rate. I have always had the problem fixed the first time.

I too have a 2005 Uplander LT that I ordered new from the factory. After reading every thing that I could get my hands on regarding the Uplander, I am somewhat of the opinion that the 2005 version of the Uplander was the best built van of all the following versions. GM tinkered with the van in the following years which resulted in some problems. This is not usually the case when a new model is first introduced. Often, improvements are made on later versions of the model.

It is just my opinion; I do not want to offend any Uplander van owners. There are some forum participants who really like their Uplanders.
Old August 1st, 2010, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Dont get me wrong, i love this minivan and i still believe that it is the best value for the money. im just trying to work out some of the kinks that come with a used vehicle. Unfortunately though, there arent any reputable chevy dealers less than an hours drive away from us. i believe that most of the "nightmare" experiences are more the fault of poor dealership service rather than a poor quality vehicle. A good dealer can make all the difference in the ownership experience. There just isnt one close by unfortunately.
Old August 1st, 2010, 4:05 PM
CF Junior Member

I am sorry to hear of your difficulty of no reliable dealership close to your location.

Check further back a page or two in this forum, if you have not already done it and you will see a couple of entries under my handle ice777. I have an update on the different problems that I have had with my van and also where I wrote a letter to GM and my dealership regarding my experiences and feelings with their product. I mentioned how I felt that GM's Business Model was broken prior to the bankruptcy last year. To my surprise, I received formal phone calls from the principal owner of the Dealership and from the Customer Relations Branch of GM in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. They both apologized for past performance of GM and promised that their new business model would show how they would be willing to change and do differently such that the company would succeed. I was quite surprised at their intended honesty and frankness.

The first two points of their new business model is that GM will support the customer and they will support their product. The third point was to build a product that is reliable and is what the customer wants.

If you have not been to a GM dealership recently, then perhaps try one and see if you notice any difference in their attitude towards the customer. If their attitude seems to be lacking, then remind them right up front that they need to adhere to the company's new business model if they want to avoid another bankruptcy. GM is on probation at this time. Also, if you detect problems with a dealership's attitude, then report it further up the chain of command so that the company is aware of the problems. You would be pleasantly surprised at how GM will treat you now that they are no longer the number one automaker in the world. A little humility is good for everyone.
I really hope that GM will succeed in the future. Time will tell.

Regarding your problem with the rattle, be patient and I am sure someone in this forum will have some suggestions of what to look for. There are some very knowledgeable people who frequent this forum. Good luck.
Old December 27th, 2016, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default Unbearable rattling under the rear driver side door

Originally Posted by Overloaded850
Hello forum members i am new here. to start i very recently purchased a 2005 Uplander LT approx 82k miles on the clock. it had a few small suspension noises, one of which being the front sway bar end links which I've taken care of. the other is the rear trailing arm bushings which i have yet to fix. we've had the van for about a month now and in that time it has developed an unbearable rattle from the drivers sliding door area. It appears to be coming from the floorboard area close to the door. happens at all speeds, but worsens as speed increases. strangely though, the noise almost completely disappears when turning(either direction) and also under medium to heavy braking. the niose is always present when the vehicle is moving and sounds kind of like a high speed drill with a length of bailing wire attached being run inside of a metal trash can, just without the noise of the drill. it has gotten so bad the i honestly cant drive the van for more than 10 or 15 minutes without a migraine headache setting in. Any ideas?
im having a rattling nose coming from under the driver side door toward the rear suspension, I thought it was the rear trailer arm bushings but it's not do anyone have an idea?
Old January 11th, 2017, 12:15 PM
CF Active Member

This may sound crazy but it sure sounds like you've got a bad wheel bearing. No noise on turns or heavy braking, whirring sound at any speed. You may want to start there. I can't remember how many wheel bearings we replaced on our 08 it was so many...

Good Luck