Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Uplander blower fan prolem in very cold weather.

Old January 8th, 2014, 7:13 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uplander blower fan prolem in very cold weather.

The other morning the temperature was -30 celcius and the heater fan would not turn. The engine started first try not even plugged but the heater fan would not run. I checked the fuse and it was okay. Since I live very close to my GM dealer I drove it there. The guy knew my problem right away. He tapped under the fan with his hand and the fan started right away. When I came back home I removed the panel over the passanger side feet and checked the connections. All was okay but I was very surprised to see the motor. All plastic enclosure and made in China.I dont think these motors were tested for cold weather like this.

Last edited by capucine; January 8th, 2014 at 7:18 AM.
Old January 16th, 2014, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Same thing happened to me 2 years ago very cold 20 below F Uplander started but no fan. Went to dealer in town where I was it was Sat and they did not have time to check. So I headed for home dealer 80 miles away. Drove about two miles and fan started and has worked since. I think you are right they just were not built for that cold conditions and once they warm a bit they start or maybe the vibration of driving gets them going.
Old January 17th, 2014, 6:27 AM
CF Active Member

RDC1534: as I can see I am not the only one with the problem. I found strange that the dealer knew the fix right away by tapping under the fan. They should have recalled these fans made in china for climate not made for us. Mine is okay now but the weather has not turned cold since.
Old January 29th, 2014, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

I had that problem for a couple of days. Fixed it by taking out the cabin air filter and manually spinning the fan (when the vehicle is off, of course). I would start it back up and the fan would start to work no problem. Happened 2 days in a row about a month ago and hasn't happened since. *shrugs*
Old January 29th, 2014, 9:35 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you try to start the fan in speed 5 rather than speed 1 ?
Old January 30th, 2014, 6:01 AM
CF Active Member

This is what I do now. I leave it in #5 speed before i start the van and it start okay now. This speed is direct with no resistance and seem to fix this issue. But I have not used the remote starter since this problem in order to not burn the heater fan just in case it refuse to turn.
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:46 PM
CF Active Member

Yeah same thing here on my '08 Cargo Extended work van. I'm around Memphis and it was about the coldest day we've ever had with a high around 10 degrees during the day. I hit the remote start while I was loading up the van and noticed after jumping in that the blower wasn't on.

Went through all the fan speeds but nothing until about 5 minutes of driving then BAM, working heat. Oh well, I guess I should just be happy it's running lol.
Old February 9th, 2014, 4:06 PM
CF Active Member

Yes it came back but this problem should not happen in our cold climate. These blower fans are supposed to have been tested in the great north and work in any condition we encounter. For me I found a replacement fan at Napa Auto all made of metal and made in Canada , not made in China like the original and all plastic. The minute this fan start to give me problems it will be history. There should have been a recall for this because of the serious problem you can get if the fan don't work and you can freeze to death in your vehicle if you are away out of nowhere.
. Can you trust a fan like that? Not me.
Old February 11th, 2014, 1:56 PM
CF Active Member

This morning started the van at temperature of -20c. Let the van warming up for 5 minutes and when I got in the heater blower was dead. Gave a slap under the passager side under the blower and it started. This was the second time this winter and this is the one that went over the bowl. I went to Napa to buy a new one. The company who market this fan is in Texas but it is marked made in Canada. The motor is made of metal versus the original made of plastic. I could not take any more chance. Paid $110.
Attached Thumbnails Uplander blower fan prolem in very cold weather.-img_00001343.jpg  
Old February 11th, 2014, 2:13 PM
CF Junior Member

its -20 here too , my blower motor is fine.

where did you buy the motor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Uplander blower fan prolem in very cold weather.