Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Uplander firewall wire access question

Old May 10th, 2010, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uplander firewall wire access question

Does anyone know if their is a pathway in the firewal of my 2005 Uplander to run several #8AWG power leads from underhood for a inverter to be located in the cargo area? I really don`t want to drill but if I have to where is the best place on the firewall to drill to install a rubber grommet to run the two #8 wires for dc power for inverter.

Thanks allot
bill
Old May 11th, 2010, 6:40 PM
Professional Mechanic

may be easier to run them underneath the van, then tan into the back. Id certainly put some protective plastic to protect it from road debris, but thats the route id go.
Old May 11th, 2010, 8:06 PM
CF Active Member

I just installed a set of fog lights on my 09 uplander and also did not take the hole through the firewall. Instead I ran the wires close to the firewall and feeded the wires to underneath the van. I raised the carpet near the driver side a bit and you will see that there is a plastic plug cap that you can reach underneath the floor I removed the cap and drilled a hole in the plastic cap and ran the wires through the hole. A touch of silicone was added to seal the hole .The wires were routed under the dash after. I completed the job with a protectice wire cover and tie wraped the jacket to the brake lines.
Old May 12th, 2010, 1:21 PM
CF Junior Member

i have a 08 and found a 12v power sorce in the rear right next to the jack it looks like may be a amp is suposed to be there maybe in a higher end model. You could just look there.
Old May 12th, 2010, 5:17 PM
Professional Mechanic

with what he is wanting to do that'll start a fire...lol that aux power should only be about 15a. If he is running what i think he wants to run for inverters, he'll need atleast a 40a
Old May 13th, 2010, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

I`ve done 2-way radio installs before so I know not to take power from low/ medium current fuse system from inside the vehicle. I`ll go directly to the engine bay for the current needed for my project , likely to the high amperage DC distribution near the battery and fuse BOTH + and - lines with a 35 amp fast blow . This is for a 400 watt inverter.
thanks
Bill
Old May 13th, 2010, 8:44 PM
Professional Mechanic

If it were me, id get an amp wiring kit from wal-mart for $20, it comes with everything you would need. tap in at your fuse box on the jumper, run your 8ga wire, use the 100a fuse included...done... even comes with hardware to securely mount the wiring. those kits are rated for amps up to 1200 watts. you should have no trouble using that kit.
Old May 14th, 2010, 9:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ve4aaz
I`ve done 2-way radio installs before so I know not to take power from low/ medium current fuse system from inside the vehicle. I`ll go directly to the engine bay for the current needed for my project , likely to the high amperage DC distribution near the battery and fuse BOTH + and - lines with a 35 amp fast blow . This is for a 400 watt inverter.
thanks
Bill
You must be getting ready for a HamFest ... my father was VE3TM. (before the current VE3TM, he passed away in 1977)