Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Uplander- Power Sliding Doors

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2007, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Uplander- Power Sliding Doors

I have a2005 Chevy Uplander and over the course of the last several months, the passenger rear sliding door started randomly closing on me and not retracting when it came in contact with my body. Long story short, now the cable won't retract at all and is crimped in the door. Because I have 57K miles on the car (we did 20K per yr. lease b/c I was still working at the time), it is not covered by any warranty. However, it's a safety issue - what if one of my kids had been trying to get out of the car??.I called GM Customer Service and surprisingly, they were of assistance and said that once the diagnosis is complete, they will assess whether or not they assist with the repair cost. So after having it diagnosed, the cable has wrapped itself around the door motor mechanism and it will cost $1400 to fix it. The GM rep is now contacting the area service manager for my area to see what they can do to help with the cost. I am going to contact an executive Customer Service leader to try and get the ball rolling more. Any other advice? I hate this car. It's had so many other issues, but after hearing - we don't know what to do over and over, you just deal with the issues. How sad is that?[/align]
Old September 18th, 2007, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 uplander after driving everything this is what the wife decided on.. I think that this van was a mistake.. This is the second time we have had the van in for Major ServiceI have had our van in for the sliding power doors and for the engine not Turing over when we try to start the van. The first time the dealership stated we checked the doors and they are ok we adjusted them. Then they told me that they could not repeat the starting problem so they were unable to look at that. Not even one day later, I mean that night the van would not turn over I tried and on the 3rd time it finally turned over. Than the doors would not close.
Now I have it in for these problems as well as the breaks, while coming back from a trip we were coming down a mountain I got up to 70 when I started to break I thought that the steering wheel was going to rip out of my hands. They have had my van for 2 full days and all they can say is they can’t figure out what is going on with the doors. Where I live we don’t have a lemon law what do you think I should do?
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:40 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kthoel

I am having the same problem!!!

I have sent GM a last chance letter to fix the vehicle, if they fail they I will be contacting an attorney and filing the lemon law suit.

LOL good luck with that for 1 problem....
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

I bought a 2005 Chevy Uplander thinking this is the car I would keep until my kids were grown..... I guess not. Now, 2 years later, I am fed up with the service I get at the Chevy Dealership and, I am fed up with the problems with this lemon....
It really irritates me that I paid so much for this piece of *&^%!, and 2 years later, I am ready to take a loss & trade it in for anything that is not made by GM.
I have had problems with the power sliding door since I bought the vechile, I have taken it in 3 times for the door alone, andthe first time, they told me it was the sensor & they would fix it, the second time, they charged me $20.00 to wipe down the sensors... a week later, the door wouldn't open, agian....
This time, they told me it was a piece of molding, and it was causing the door not to close properly. They charged me $80.00 to remove a piece of molding. They did not replace it, they just took it off & say it is not needed.... Then why was it there??
I have had problems with the brakes as soon as the van hit 7,000 miles. They have been turned, they have been replaced, and I am sure2 - 3,000 miles from now they will be shaking again...
The Sway Bar Links have had to be fixed twice,
And every time I fill the gas tank, if I fill it all the way, the check engine light comes on & says there is no gas in the car, as soon as it gets to about 3/4 of a tank the light goes off & the gas gage works again.
I purchased the extra warranty when I bought the vechile, because I figured I would have this van for at least 10 years, and wanted to be covered. Even with the extended warranty, I end up paying around $500 every time I take this thing in to the dealer, and they always tell me, "It's a maintenance issue" I don't understand how faulty brakes are a "maintenance issue" The door is a "maintenance issue", etc etc.I've had nothing but problems with the brakes since I bought the thing. And the same for the door.... A vechile shouldn't made you stressed when a kid accidently uses the power sliding door to get in or out of the car & then you are sitting in the grocery parking lot trying to get the thing to stop beeping for 45 minutes before doing your errands... Just what you need when you are running around doing errands with 3 kids. Or your husband accidently goes over the 3/4 mark when he fills up the car, so now the car is saying there is no gas & beeping at you, you get mad at him....
This wasn't a cheap purchase, My car payments doubled when I bought this thing, we justified it by saying this would be the car I would have for 10 years, I'd be better off witha bike with a baby trailer attached. I've had enough. Now our options are, keep the thing & keeptaking it in for these problems, or trade it in, lose even more money, and get something else. I hope they realize what a valuable customer they lost, My entire family, Mother, Brothers & they're wives, Sister, have bought Chevy's for years. Now, we are all switching to non-chevy vechiles because of the problems everyone is having. My Sister had a venture, at 40k, the heads went. My Mom had a venture, she had a problem where it would just not start sometimes, she took it in 5 times for the same problem, finally, she traded it in for a non-Chevy vechile. Due to all these problems, and my experience with the Service Department, I will never buy a Chevy or GM again.
Old October 24th, 2007, 11:12 AM
CF Pro Member

Dont think switching brands will solve your problems......they all have issues

"Toyota Motor Co. said Tuesday it would cover the costs of repairing doors on up to 600,000 Sienna minivans, after learning from consumers that a part can fail, causing doors to shut unexpectedly."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=678203
Old October 29th, 2007, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

.... The difference, is that Toyota is admitting they have a problem, and are helping they're customers fix it. GM, is not.
Old October 29th, 2007, 3:05 PM
CF Pro Member

LOL GM does not have the problem on EVERY van they sold only a few.....
Old November 10th, 2007, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Me too ! Pass side door trouble. I have a Braun Entervan, wheelchair van, lowered floor, in floor ramp. Last week it started (5000 miles) press button door opened ramp deployed I rolled in press button ramp retracted and nothing,,,,,,,,, 10 seconds,,,,30 seconds,,,,, 50 seconds the door closed..... ! ? OK.
Monday press button door open,ramp,roil in, press button ramp retracted,,,,, but no door.
Press button, all buttons, reset button, no door.
I was able to close manually.
Got home wife there (my guardian angle) press button nothing, no door at all.
No door,,,, no ramp,,, no exit ! ! !
Had her get spare powerchair pulled it up to door at 45° I slid out of van wheelchair to chair in driveway. Oh I drive from my wheelchair.
Van flatbed-ed to handicapped conversion dealer/shop. They sent it to GM dealer. Said it was something with GM electrics controlling the door.At Dealer two days. Weekend now, will not have any news till next week. 11/10/07.
Now I'm grounded.
Old November 12th, 2007, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Three times it's a Lemon ? Ooo!
http://www.lemonlaw.com/articles/che...ing-doors.html
Old November 28th, 2007, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Uplander- Power Sliding Doors PROBLEMS!!!!

we purchased our 2006 uplander on 9/5/06, by march we started having trouble, I came out from my daughters dance class to find an inch of snow in my van, the passanger slider was open, but all other doors were locked, I checke the vehicle to make sure nothing was missing, I did not know what to expect. This happened again the first day of soccar but to the other sliding door, and again, I took it to the dealership where I was pretty much told I was out of my mind, they also fixed this terrible shaking that was in the steering wheel, turns out the front brakes were installed wrong, and it was metal to metal. Even though there were many other problems the doors were especitally terrifing as I have two small children. After the dealer had checked this problem and told me I was crazy, I continued to have problems, we were in South Carolina when the doors opened while the van was moving, this was enough, we didnt know what to do so we contacted onstar and had one of their service reps on the phone for quite sometime, trying to disable the door, the door would not shut, it kept retracting, this on the auto setting or manual, and the dinging would not stop, when we returned home the car immidiatly went back to the dealer, who had it for about a month, we asked that they replace it, but the area manager over the dealer would not, *they could not reduplicate the problem, so they did however guarantee me that this would never happen again, well in early November it did, when I called the dealership, they said they had to have permission to see the vehicle (which was still under warranty) I was so upset that I filed a complaint with the Better Business Beru, this finally got their attention, I also dropped off a packet to the dealership listing 28 different people who had the same issues around the counrty, one of which I know had the vehicle repurchased. This I feel added to the decision for GM to buy it back. since the decision to buyback took place, we have encountered some issues, I have to pay $2000 for milage, this was a purchase, but milage is charged, and since chevrolet does not make a vehicle with three rows, that is under $35000, we decided on an arcadia, this would work very well for us, when we told our rep they said it could be "any" gm vehicle, now it is that it can "only" be a chevy, which would not work, I am going round and round and ready to scream. I do not know what to do next as the department does not have supervisors, go figure and when you deal with the legal department, no other department is allowed to speak to you!
Does anyone have some insight on this?[/align]

Quick Reply: Uplander- Power Sliding Doors