Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Temperature gauge problems

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2013, 3:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature gauge problems

Today, my great little van decided that it didn't want to start. Being that it was -31°C, I'm surprised anything starts at that temperature. Anyways, I followed the manual for proper boosting procedures using the remote terminal as opposed to the battery terminals. It fired immediately. Up until now, I have never had any major issues with the van, other than a couple items that needed to be replaced. I had the throttle body motor redone just over a year ago, before my 11k kilometre, 3 week trip to California. There were a few bushings and a control arm done around the same time but that's not my concern. After boosting the van today, all was great. I let it run for a bit, let it warm up, then headed to the store. I left it running for the few minutes while I ran in. When I came out, all was OK, so I figured I'd run and grab some gas. After putting $25 bucks in, the van decided that it didn't want to start on the first try like it usually does. I tried it again, and it fired up. It seemed a bit odd, because it has never done that before, but it seemed like it was starved for fuel. I could tell by the way it sounded when it turned over. I put it in gear and away I went. I got up the back alley about 150 feet from he gas station, and noticed it was a bit hard to brake. It turned out, that the rpms were a bit higher than they should be. I shut it down, and started it again. It still ran a bit higher rpms than normal, but I kicked it down, and it settled back at about 8-900 where it normally idles. I drove the few blocks back to the house. When I pulled into the driveway, I noticed that the radiator fans were running. Now, in all my years of owning this van, I don't ever recall ever hearing the fans ever even turn on haha. I also looked at the temperature gauge, and it was sitting at COLD. No movement from it whatsoever. The van is still blowing heat, and it was more than comfortable in there, so I didn't even notice until I got home. After starting and stopping it a few times, I figured I'd leave it, and take a look tomorrow, because I was losing daylight rapidly. Now, I don't think I hit anything while under the hood, but I didn't check, and will do so later today. I was just wondering if anyone may know what might cause this problem. It seems a bit harder to start, and the revs stay pretty high after a start, but do come down, albeit slowly. What are your thoughts o the problem? Maybe a hit a wire somewhere, or the thermostat decided to go **** up. Maybe the sending unit was unplugged, or now, maybe it has died? Any ideas would era only help me diagnose the issue, so I appreciate any light you guys or gals, might be able to shed on the subject.

The van is an 05 Uplander LS 3.5L, has about 168k on it, and it has been extremely well maintained in the few years I've had it.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Old January 20th, 2013, 1:26 PM
CF Active Member

Just my opinion but I think I would wait until it wasn't -31 before I tried to track down what's going on. like you said - its amazing that anything starts at that temperature. I'm not shocked that the rpms are running a little high as its trying to warm itself up. The cooling system on the Uplander is pretty big so it does take a while to warm up. It certainly is possible that your thermostat checked out or even your coolant temp sensor might have bit the dust...either one is not an expensive repair so that's good.

As for the cooling fans, regardless of ambient temp they will intermittently run whenever you have the HVAC set to blow to the floor or to the defrosters regardless of coolant temp.
Old January 20th, 2013, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Ha! If I could wait till May, when it's warm enough to fix it I would lol
Old January 20th, 2013, 2:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

As 442 said, I concur probably temp sensor. That could cause all the issues you have least the crank issue. With that there used to be a battery blanket that kept the battery warm. I'd suggest possibbly a drop light under the hood when its that cold.
Old January 20th, 2013, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

The battery is toast. I'm assuming it's frozen, and I've been told that it could cause issues because the ecm is stuck in "learning" mode. So first step will be the battery, I can diagnose after in regards to sensors.
Old January 20th, 2013, 5:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just going to say battery. Is it the original? I changed the original in my '07 last year when it died.
Old January 20th, 2013, 6:20 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by ShadNuke
The battery is toast. I'm assuming it's frozen, and I've been told that it could cause issues because the ecm is stuck in "learning" mode. So first step will be the battery, I can diagnose after in regards to sensors.
ECM in learning mode will definitely cause funny idle and a weird start. And a dead battery will put you in learning mode. Sounds like you're on the right track...

You can test the coolant temp sensor with a multimeter - let me know if you need the resistance values at temp...i'll post them
Old January 20th, 2013, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

I would assume it's the original. I bought it used a few years ago, and it doesn't look as thought it has been changed. Just got back from grabbing a new one, so I'm about to don the snowpants , parka and arctic gloves and venture out for some good old backyard mechanic frostbite! At least it isn't as bad as when I changed a water pump on my 82 Olds Omega in -35 weather. And most of that had to be done with no gloves on because there just wasn't enough room for my arm and all them layers down there hahaha. I'll touch base when I'm done! Wish me luck!
Old January 20th, 2013, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

BATTERY SWAP WAS ALL IT TOOK!! Everything started working, and all is well on the northern front! Thanks to those who posted, for the ideas and help!

Kevin
Old January 20th, 2013, 7:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Great!